Skip to main content

Bread deliveries, 1952 shortages

More
4 years 6 months ago #203134 by Roderick Smith
I am not sure when motor vehicles took over from horses.
IIRC the most common was a Morris J, with the doors removed for speed of access. Delivery was to the front verandah, and we had a dual-access locker cut between the verandah and the kitchen. When I was home from school on a delivery day, I would pinch the loaf of high Vienna, and slice of the fresh crust to eat as a treat.
When home delivery ceased (~50 years ago?), my mother switched to home-baked bread, and has kept that up into her 90s.
Milk got a mid-size Bedford, with open sides, also doorless.
Newspapers had 12 yo boys on bikes, gaining independence and responsibility as well as money to spend on hobbies.
Horses were able to plod steadily and independently; motorised required the deliveryman to keep jumping in and out.
When I was in the country in 1971, home delivery of bread had ceased. Milk was delivered in the afternoon, as the same boys were delivering newspapers in the morning.

Roderick
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203136 by Zuffen
I was a Milko in 1974 and drove a TOYOTA stout.

My round started at 11.00pm and I was back home by 7.00am to start work in an office at 9.00 and knock off at 5.00.

Not much sleep but young and needed the money.

My girlfriend used to count and roll the money for me.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203141 by Morris
There is no point in removing the doors of a Morris J van, as the doors are sliding and can be latched back into the body.
The only time I drove a J van was when I was 17 and the regular driver was late back from lunch. I asked the boss if I could do his round and the only question was "Do you have a licence?" Yes, was my truthful reply. As I drove out of the depot, I saw the usual driver walking towards work but I was keen to have a drive so I pretended I did not see him. I did not hear any comments when I returned and do not know if he "copped it" He was never late back again.
I have just bought a Morris 1800 Ute and the only other vehicle on my bucket list is a J van.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #203147 by cobbadog
The Morris J van was used in our area after the draught horse was retired. it bought the bread and the local newsagent had one too to restock the paper boys at the halfway mark of their run and I did this for a few years. Milk came off the back of a flat top. After the Morris got the flick a FB panel van took its place and the top half of the tail gate was always in the up position rain hail or shine. Once the shelf was empty at that level the bottom half of the tail gate was dropped for acess.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by cobbadog.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203149 by Brocky45
Several years ago there was an early teens Model T Ford panel truck at the ATCA Macungie PA USA show that was supposedly the first motorized delivery vehicle for "Tasty Cakes" a Philadelphia PA snack cake manufacturer.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 6 months ago #203150 by Swishy
Here U go Brocky

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5c059bde4611a0f67db44510/1554877558022-E7H9UMDS1ABO4EG0WQFR/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kG2GZ1w34d7aqACVLcKug98UqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8GRo6ASst2s6pLvNAu_PZdI8KN1qLFq0GrvgekNTz7UEoL7V0SL_gNwYikoAGnMOaiC6ensH_V2ySp2RUqdOqsw/history-slide-5a.png?format=500w

Thanx Google

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Brocky45

More
4 years 6 months ago #203190 by Brocky45
Swishy
Thanks for the pictures.. The T model Ford I saw a Macungie (before I had a digital camera) was supposed to be, and was lettered up as Tastykake #1.
What is #33???? Looks like it might be an electric???
And yes, you can still buy Tastycakes today!! Do knot know which conglomerate owns the label though??

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 6 months ago #203192 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #203195 by Roderick Smith
I never did photograph the withdrawn horse-drawn cart at a kindergarten on my route to high school.
However, I did photograph a heavily-modified one on a private railway in north-east Victoria.
080323Su Leneva, Wombat Gully Railway: breadvan brakevan. (Roderick Smith).

Roderick
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: I can't make the link clickable, so I have posted the photo instead.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203263 by Brocky45
Our friend Jeff Lakaszcyck over on the Just Old Trucks forum has answered my question about the make of the Tastykake #33 in Swishy's pictures above.
The answer is Ward Electric.. as seen here: forums.justoldtrucks.com/149762/What-Am-I-for-Tuesday-10012019
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds