Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help Identifying a Ute

Help Identifying a Ute 06 Oct 2019 00:55 #203331

• Swanny
  • Thank you received: 55
Your right Overnight the early A40 Devons had a full chrome grill the one Gryphon spotted is a late model I think they came out in 1952/53 until 1956 and had a painted & part chrome grill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Help Identifying a Ute 06 Oct 2019 09:15 #203335

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 109
Swanny is absolutely correct with his information.
It is definitely an Austin A40. There was an A 40 in this size and also one in the larger Hampshire body. There was also a Somerset, which I think had the larger body. The styling of all these was very similar. This is all taking me back to my childhood when it seemed that everybody had one of these cars. My next door neighbour had a Somerset and when he was teaching his eldest son to drive, the kid managed to select first gear and reverse at the same time (Box must have been very warn) and dad could not afford to get it fixed for months! These had a chromed script "Austin of England" across air vents on the front mudguard sides. My Sister used to insist that Austin of England was a different brand to Austin but she is an idiot.

I will stake my life on it NOT being a Freeway which was a much later and larger model, which first came out in 1959. It was based on the Farina styled Austin A55 (I had a 1959 model in 1962-65) and from 1960, Austin A60, Morris Oxford and Wolseley 24/80. Regarding a neighbour with much smaller A40's, they must have been the 1960's A40 Farina with much more modern styling.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Help Identifying a Ute 06 Oct 2019 12:03 #203339

• fxs80
  • Thank you received: 15
1952 A40 Devon utility , the 53 had a turned out panel on top edge of tray for tarp (IDSTBC)
1939 D2

Help Identifying a Ute 06 Oct 2019 14:04 #203342

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 219
I remember these ..my great uncle had one......big sheet metal,tiny motor hiding down in the dark......and gutless.....I loved the big A badge tho,and I bet these cost plenty now.His must have been a deluxe version,it had a woodgrain dash and a clock.....he was an old bushie come to town and a shocking driver......he once knocked a policeman off a bicycle and waved at him and drove off.....worth a month in the lockup.

Help Identifying a Ute 06 Oct 2019 19:31 #203352

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 85
My Father had an A40 panel van, hence I figured what it was pretty quickly.

Morris,

The Farina name was short for Pininfarina the Italian design studio that designed it. It was a sharp edged vehicle and I think a bit smaller than the A40.

Help Identifying a Ute 06 Oct 2019 23:20 #203358

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 95
I’m almost sure the first series A40 utes had detachable rear fenders, because they half covered the rear wheels, which couldn’t be removed unless you detached the rear fenders.

Help Identifying a Ute 07 Oct 2019 08:25 #203364

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 109
Zuffen,
Pinin (Italian for Baby) Farina headed the Farina/Pininfarina styling business for many years. The "sharp edged" vehicles you mention were only one of his many designs. The smallest one he did for BMC/BL was the "Farina" Austin A40. It was released as competition for the Morris Minor. I hated their shape when I was young but have come to quite like it now. He also did the one I described for Austin A55, A60, Morris Oxford and Wolseley 24/80. He sold virtually the identical design to Peugeot for the 404, prompting motoring writers of the time to ask who got it first.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558