Skip to main content

Brakes, brakes, brakes (C1600)

More
4 years 5 months ago #204256 by JOHN.K.
It can get real hard when the starwheels get the serrations chopped off them.....dont use sharp edged screwdrivers ,round the edges.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204258 by 2strokesrule
AaronS, everyone here has bought up good points, speaking from experience when working for an IH dealer in the 70s and 80s If you are certain your wheel cylinders, hydrovac (booster) and master cylinder are all good as well as brake pipes and flexible hoses and the vacuum system is air tight you wont have any trouble getting good brakes you must get them adjusted correctly and we always used a power bleeder. That era helped develop my complete hatred for hydraulic braking systems air brakes are so much simpler and far better. good luck with the project they are a good truck. 2strokesrule.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204462 by wedgetail84
This is nice and relevant to me - trying to get my cd1820 ready to drive 300km to our new house on a permit. Been over the brakes and they work reasonably well (especially once adjusted) apart from one rear wheel - one cylinder is seized not allowing the shoes back in and the other is leaking. Where did you get your cylinders Aaron?

Have managed to get a master cylinder kit in the way (it’s weeping). Do people advise preventative maintenance on the hydrovac or if it’s working would I be better off not disturbing it?

More
4 years 4 months ago #204464 by AaronS
I tried adjusting all mine on the weekend. Little improvement so will take off remaining wheels and see what is going on.

I got my rear cylinders from power brakes in SA. The front ones I got online from USA because power brakes didn’t have replacements.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204465 by wedgetail84
Ah yes I’ve heard of power brakes. If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay for the cylinders?

More
4 years 4 months ago #204467 by AaronS
About $50 each delivered.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204733 by AaronS
So I am still dicking around with these brakes. Trying to adjust the front I snapped the adjustment bolt (do not ask. I am not really that mechanically minded). So my question now is - can I replace the bolt or do I have to source and entire adjuster. Will pull it down tomorrow to see but any help appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

More
4 years 4 months ago #204741 by AaronS
I pulled it down this arvo. It is a special bolt so I’ll have to weld it up. Seems that the cam on the bolt is simply pressed on. PITA but at least I know what I am in for.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204765 by AaronS
To everyone that said I just had to adjust my brakes properly.........have another two beers tonight. Brakes adjusted and they are great. Had to pull off two hubs and clean up two sets of adjusters and make repairs to one set of brakes (from my own doing). Thanks again for all the help.

Aaron
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, werkhorse

More
4 years 4 months ago #205091 by Blake
Final post on this topic.

Thanks again for the assistance. Brakes passed brake check with flying colours. Mechanic even commented on how good they were. Unfortunately replacing all the weak points meant the next weakest point was them susceptible and he blew a brake line doing the test. All good though. She passed and once the brake line is replaced I know they are safe brakes which is the main thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: werkhorse

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds