Skip to main content

1981 610 4x4 Acco

More
4 years 1 month ago #207594 by Rattail 1927
Replied by Rattail 1927 on topic 1981 610 4x4 Acco
Because mine’s a 4x4 I have front axle engaged and hi low transfer case in between the gauges

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #207903 by Rattail 1927
Had a productive week and weekend, got my gauge holes cut and gauges fitted, my super cheap ( gauge not shop ) tacho started to play up basically from the first encounter, getting? For want of a better word stuck nottchy, wouldn’t rev above 2000 so I made an executive decision and after all the work filing the hole for it to fit I’ve put the original in gauge that looks like a gauge made to fill a hole which is good because nothing works on it , not even the light for the night time explorer, so I put the little 52mm digital rev counter in permanent in its new home , still a little notchy but it works and when your foot stoops moving it recovers very quick ) I even robbed the globe holder for something else and the wiring for the new gauges , I’ve still got a couple of senders to find homes for because I still want both lights and gauges when I can ..... ive come to the conclusion that if you word a sentence a certain way it makes a huge difference on the way your brain reacts to something that makes it sound .... ok I can work with that and maybe improve on that with a few tweaks, so , here goes No.1
I worked out that I used about 280-300 litres of petrol to get home , but it works out to be about 3 -4 (maybe) mpg not brilliant but most of the trucks I drove over the 30-ish year period was about the same so no biggy , just drive sensibly and all be good! No.2
so I drove the new very second hand, ( well I suppose it should be seeing how it’s 40 yr old ) and put about 300 lts in along the way home , pulled up for a important call of nature and put the handbrake on except it was already on ....... and looking at the dash the light was the same as the headlights... off ( the red light on the dash in the picture is the handbrake switch which is now illuminated and doesn’t roll away , it’s only a prop shaft handbrake which will be converted to a disc brake) that being done away we went with no further incidents except someone ( not the other bloke) decided to take a short cut that added more time but because The pot holes were ....well large speed decreasing it made a hot trip well... hot , the a/c wasn’t working.. ok so it doesn’t have a/c , so we got home just on dark and had a well deserved break, after tea and a shower sipping a chilled beverage I decided to work out how much it will cost to run -280 km and about the same 280-300 litres for the trip home... WHAT A LITRE A KILOMETRE....I’ve just bought a expensive garden gnome. I, ive just decided from this point forward everything will be worked out in
M.P.G 3 miles per gallon is WAY BETTER than ONE LITRE PER KILOMETRE...... just saying!
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Rattail 1927. Reason: Spelling

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207909 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1981 610 4x4 Acco
If you re not used to 4x4 trucks ,the front axle is often very hard to get out of engagement ,sometimes you have to back up to get it free...Some say it makes no difference ,but IMHO ,disconnecting the tailshaft and the front hub flanges does save fuel ,but there is a catch ,because the front knuckle bearings are roller lower,but a bronze bearing upper.and the bronze does need lube splash......However the top bearing can be replaced by a roller ,same as the lower,and thats often been done on older trucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Rattail 1927

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #207912 by Rattail 1927
Yeah thanks john I was half having a dig in humour and I can take the t-line on long trips , about 5 years ago I had a 4.4 litre bmwX5 wagon , thinking back I reckon the T-line is better on fuel, lol , we had a club run from Deniliquin to Barmah on Sunday 15th of March and I wouldn’t be surprised if it used around 100 litres if that , I bought the acco more for people don’t really see that many any more and the exhaust is going to have t stack or two not sure with 4” pipes from as close from the manifold from 2 1/2” to 3” the.same on both sides and into one atm and two later but what I can tell you is it will be throughty. A dark forfoding growl Everyone will now your coming...after years of guys tell stories about the mighty 345 well I had well I can’t wait to find out for my self , I get just as much enjoyment fixing and building as driving, Jim
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Rattail 1927. Reason: Adding in formation

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207913 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1981 610 4x4 Acco
I reckon you cant beat the sound of a 345 in a tilt cab ACCO,just barely hear the motor when it starts ,not like a disel rattling and shaking away......and when a 345 is pulling a big load ,it really digs in and hangs on....Downside is you can just about see the fuel gauge going down.......One thing you learn quick is to change points and plugs every 5,000 miles .....if the motor starts to miss ,they really eat fuel.....Ive still got boxes of barely used plugs ,good for old motor bikes and the mower anyway......................another point is IH used a different cylinder numbering system to other motors .......without that ,the odd firing order is quite normal ,
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by JOHN.K..

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #207917 by Rattail 1927
A couple of quick photos , had to move them to mow under so put them together, they are dirty as we had a mud storm, dust in the wind and rain , takes about 6 washes to get it clt

Ratty, ya gotta click on onsert to get ya pickcha in the frame.... Sarge.
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #207947 by Rattail 1927

JOHN.K. wrote: I reckon you cant beat the sound of a 345 in a tilt cab ACCO,just barely hear the motor when it starts ,not like a disel rattling and shaking away......and when a 345 is pulling a big load ,it really digs in and hangs on....Downside is you can just about see the fuel gauge going down.......One thing you learn quick is to change points and plugs every 5,000 miles .....if the motor starts to miss ,they really eat fuel.....Ive still got boxes of barely used plugs ,good for old motor bikes and the mower anyway......................another point is IH used a different cylinder numbering system to other motors .......without that ,the odd firing order is quite normal ,

Check out the almost dead straight torque curve, given by today’s standard they are laughable but today’s car engines torque curves are “peak” meaning highest number achieved not sustainable solid work, so in that respect the torque curve is still solid imo
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Rattail 1927.

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds