• If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 10 months ago #210842 by Swishy
Unfinished new trucks was created by Swishy
Clik ear fro more talk on CANNONBALL
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/general/4132-cannonball-tv-series#45338

RE: The Truckies
Wen Volvo started sellin trucks ...... they were never finished as a primemover
the earl eye volvos were not complete .... owneres then had to fit there own West Coast Mirrors. Long Range Fuel tanks, Bullbars, trailer controls, 5th wheel, Chiken Lights, driving lights, Air Conditioner etc to make m user friendly
twaz a gr8 boost for the 'V'bus mob with the Orange n yello 'V'bus all fitted out on the Truckies TV sho
one episode me thinks they visted the steam rally @ our transport yard
WotSezU
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210843 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Unfinished new trucks
Swishy I think that was pretty standard in the day for all makes. When I bought my Commer in the mid 60's it came in grey primer. From memory paint was 200 pounds extra. They gave you a spare wheel but a tyre to fit it was extra. No mirrors of any description but to make it legal they all had the oval mirrors at 65 pounds extra compulsory. No tail lights they were extra on tray trucks - tray extra, but prime movers had to pay for lights, turntable and trailer brakes. Of course any mudguards and flaps were extra.

lang
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rattail 1927

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210847 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Unfinished new trucks
Bit off the "Best Truck Movies" topic, but Lang's last post bought to mind the problems or sometime "dodges" that used to occur when vehicles were "supposed" to comply with "Australian Content" rules.
From what I recall of it and what I had read about it, preference was given to British (or UK) makes , something to do with "Equal trade" between Commonwealth countries. (A side story to this may be why Canadian manufactured goods did better than American goods, even if both owned by a parent company e,g, Ford, G.M etc).
However, as usual, I digress. Reading a bit today about even though a hell of a lot of trucks and cars, were fully imported from the UK in the fifties and sixties until the sheer volume were surpassed by the Yank tanks. To circumvent some of the import duty on said UK gear, a lot of vehicles were imported CKD and then "outfitted" locally, bodies, trays, tyres, rubber etc etc. What was going on apparently, although maybe a blind eye was turned towards it, or maybe the Govt. thought that as long as some form of tax were being paid, if indirectly, was that a lot, in fact the major portion of these companies that were supplying the "extras" to get these vehicles on the road were owned by the parent company back home in England!
The glass manufacturers, the wheel/rim manufacturers, in fact a huge slice of the components required to get the vehicle operational, were very simply put, overseas owned. As I said, if these overseas owned, but locally skilled worker supplied factories were paying things like sales tax, taxes on workers wages, all the required taxes , the Govt., of whatever stripe, gave it the nod. Sounds a bit like the duty on tobacco tax and the Govt. spending millions telling you to give up smoking!
Of course, I may have this all arse backwards, just the way I interpret what I read.
Quite possibly the same thing was being done over in the Aussie "Yank Truck" camps, notably International Harvester and much later, Kenworth, just to name a couple. What the "Australian Content" percentage wise tallied I'm not sure, but would bet quids that the added componentry companies were either hand in glove with the builders, or certainly helped out by them.
Not saying there was anything wrong in the way it was structured, we simply didn't have either the resources nor the skilled workers at the time.
But, just reading on the now dead and buried Australia car industry, if Canada can maintain a viable industry with a lot less population to draw on (than it's border neighbour) , what happened here?
Probably something to do with Canadian trade agreements with America??
Anyway, done and dusted now, the topic has been well and truly covered here and elsewhere.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Dave_64.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 10 months ago #210860 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Unfinished new trucks
Cogz
m80
the Kenworth when imported were all complete all fitted out nothing to add
all they needed was fuel & rego hookup to trailer n u're on your way
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 10 months ago #210862 by Dave_64
The first KW's. Fully imported OK, that's why a premium price paid to purchase them. Not everyone since though surely, when they set the Bayswater plant up what was the percentage of the components locally manufactured though?

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210864 by Lang
Swishy

I think the stuff was mostly extra on the Kenworths too. I have the Seattle build sheet for my 1967 day cab made for Caltex. Apart from the basic cab the whole truck was made to order by the customer with whatever engine, chassis, axles, gearbox, accessories and paint that he wanted. The difference being the Australian salesman filled in the extras box on placing the order and they were fitted at the factory while the other makes fitted all the extras locally when the standard basic machine arrived. Nothing for nothing.

Of course in recent times the dealers have fully spec'd standard trucks in their yard like car dealers.

Lang

More
3 years 10 months ago #210872 by Dave_64
That was exactly the point I was trying to make,
Where were the majority of components sourced from?
And even if they WERE locally manufactured, I'll bet quids the said companies are in the majority either overseas owned or controlled.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210873 by Lang
Dave

I think a lot of the component suppliers were small to medium Australian owned companies. I remember my uncle was works foreman for a big electroplating mob in Melbourne. They did all the electroplating for the Australian built and assembled cars (Standard Vanguard, Austin, Morris etc etc) I remember him saying that VW had by far the highest standard. Everybody just put copper then chrome as the two layers but VW had copper, nickel then chrome.

I visited once and saw all those chrome kangaroos that Vanguard had standard as a bonnet mascot and you could buy to put on your REPCO Holden.

There were hundreds of locally owned component companies eg the bolt and nut suppliers, but as you say Pilkington Australia made all the glass but they had a pommy parent company.

Lang

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210874 by Dave_64
Lang,
Could also chuck in Sankey-Benson, wheel/rim makers for both car and truck.
Parent company in UK, became part of GKN group.
Alcoa another major HD wheel maker, aren't they overseas owned as well?
Not nit picking, but you could say that of the majority of MAJOR truck components (Engines-trans-diffs-suspensions etc) are also imported and have been for some time.
In the car market, once Warner-Gear (later Borg-Warner) stopped supplying the local market, that fell in a hole.

Where do you draw the line though?
Even if the European manufacturers (truck) bring in the vehicles intact (unless of course they are actually turning them out of the home factories as R/H drive), and they are coming over here in CKD form, assembled here, I would think that most of the Euro truck components would also be imported as they seem to utilise quite a large "in-house" inventory??
Dave
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Dave_64.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210875 by Lang
Dave

There has always been a majority of overseas or overseas owned/Australian sourced components. There probably was a time when GMH produced a genuine Australian majority sourced vehicle, maybe International at Geelong and even Ford with their early Falcons or Chrysler with their early Valiants but the parent car companies were all overseas corporations anyhow.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds