Skip to main content

Unfinished new trucks

More
3 years 9 months ago #210876 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Unfinished new trucks
In bigger trucks, springs, axle housings as in banjo type, engine mounts, exhausts, aircleaners, seat parts, mirrors, bonnets, fuel tanks, air tanks, air system components and a lot lot more were all made here in Australia for Mack, White, KW
Oh and wheels and spacers

Its a pretty long list and they and or those parts had to be provided to be exempt from import duties on the rest

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #210878 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Unfinished new trucks
Just as a bit of an aside to this discussion.
Back in the early eighties I suppose it was, around there anyway, worked for Maynes and we used to get our Syd-Bris Mack work done up there.
Was around there one day and they had what turned out to be, the first Oz Ultra-Liner or whatever it was called. Nice looking model. Wrapped up like a Christmas stocking, but not that secure that you couldn't lift a corner of the bunting and sneak a peek.
I was just dropping an R model off for some warranty work, whatever it was. Quite a few people hanging around waiting to hook into the free snags, sausage rolls and pies. So, being a busybody, and always on the lookout for a free feed, hung around like a bad smell and seeing me in the company uniform, one of the salesmen came over and started yapping to another bloke and myself. Extolling the virtues of the Bulldog breed, how all those "other manufacturers" were cobbling trucks together out of "common components",
how Mack used only Mack components, everything from bumper to number plate holder was genuine product..
This other bloke was from that company had all the green Macks on float/heavy haulage work, name escapes me at the moment, round near the wool stores near Archerfield. He listened to this bloke for a while, wasn't saying much and then asked if they (Mack) were still using Shepherd Steering? Could you still get a Dog with a Road Ranger? An auxiliary Spicer?
Just then, the salesman excused himself and shot through.
I just thought it was a bit funny at the time, here's a bloke blowing his own trumpet, so to speak, maybe he should have checked his facts first?
Actually, I have to be fair and say that Mack would have been maybe reluctant to use outside components at the time, bottom line was they were still in the business of making money. At the time also, you could still order a Mack with the 5 speed Mazitorque box and ask for a 4 speed Spicer auxilliary behind it, but was only for the R models with the 6 cylinder engines. A few were actually turned out like that for heavy haulage.
I asked at the time if they had any intention of doing the same with the new cab over Ultra -Liner, said they would in time be building them to the buyers specs. When they first came out, I have an idea they (the V8's) were rated at something like 440 HP, wasn't too long before they bumped that up to 500HP, last were something like 610HP but wouldn't meet pollution tests, or so I believe. Must have been around the same time that they came out with their own 18 speed triple countershaft trans to handle the big torque. For a while you were also able to spec them with a Fuller. Often wondered just how much torque you could shovel into those 5 speed Maxitorque boxes. Had a mate who subbied for us with an F model with the earlier 375 HP V8 Maxidyne, had a 5 speed, he loved it, reckon you would never break the box, if driven correctly.
But once again, wandered a bit off topic, we were talking about CKD and finished trucks ex factory.
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 9 months ago #210881 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Unfinished new trucks
I remember reading about the First batch of ISUZU trucks sold here (Badged as Bedfords) they were all a pale Blue colour. 12-18 months later they Started getting whinges/warranty Claims about the Paint..
turns out the Pale blue was only a Primer..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #211924 by Rattail 1927
Replied by Rattail 1927 on topic Unfinished new trucks
OMG that’s so funny .... the paint must’ve been on the options list , any colour you like as long as it is blue. !
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Rattail 1927.

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds