Skip to main content

Lang's new Mack toy carrier

More
3 years 9 months ago #211390 by Lang
Having sold the old Perkins Commer I am already missing having a handy truck.

A mate just contacted me about this. Apparently in excellent running order just needing a tidy up. 1987 Mack Midliner. He says 290hp but I doubt that from what I have read. Have not seen it yet but it looks like it is just crying out to put a beaver tail and ramps on.

Discounting Swishy's comments about effete European rubbish does anyone have any comments on them for a club registered toy hauler.

Lang

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211395 by cobbadog
Putting something like that on Club plates will depend on the Club regulations. Most clubs have their own rules. Our club has only just this year made it a bit tougher to put heavy vehicles on plates. Not so much tougher but they now must go to an authorized service station that is qualified to do inspections on heavy vehicles.
Still this is an economical way to have the toy transporter.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211396 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Cobba

We have absolutely no problems in Qld if it is over 30 years old.

Roadworthy Certificate from the truck club preferred inspector, Vintage registration, never have another inspection until you sell it. No annual pits.

Only problem in Qld is truck can only be 50% of GVM while other states have full GVM or 50% of load. This restricts its use as some trucks such as tippers. tankers and tilt trays can be 50% empty. Does not bother anyone and never heard of a club member ever being fined for overload while under the full original GVM.

Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #211408 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Had a few discussions about the Qld SIVS rules .......generally 1/2GVM is just the truck ,or maybe one ton load or so .......unless you carefully plan for some carry ability ...........Just my own theory ,mind you,but for max legal Qld. SIVS carry , a very light bogie or lazy axle with an ally tray is the go ....probably the bogie Dodge V8 that was on the market here in the late 70s.,or some of the V8 petrol ACCOs of the same period with 28,000 lb Rockwells and a lightweight Hendrickson........Now I know everyone says ...they never check ,but have an accident and an injury ,then it will be checked.......I know one guy was pinged for a SIVS rego,he stopped on the Gold Coast Motorway for a whiz,and the cameras clocked him .....he was pulled up by the cops next offramp ,and hit with all sorts including backrego (he was carrying a load of building materials)..........There was also another cunning stunt,get a SIVS rego ,then a personalized plate ......wasnt obvious you were on a sivs rego.......now some of the members of this forum know to whom I refer here.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
3 years 9 months ago #211412 by cobbadog
Yes Lang that is the way it used to be in our Club until this year. Take it to one of the Clubs recognised inspectors and it gets a check out and away you go, not now. I believe the idea is that now with the later model trucks have air suspension and brakes and so on that our Committee decided it best to put that into the hands of the professionals. As for load restrictions I now believe there are none on trucks on Club rego in NSW. Our Club was one of the first to sign up for the Club rego log book system and so far it has been a great success. 30 trips per year on the log book plus any of the listed Club events for us to attend so we get a lot of time to use if needed.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211413 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Lang, I'm sure you know they're a badge engineered Renault, that are held in esteem by the European drivers. I believe it is a "Club of Four" cab, shared with Maguris, Ford and Volvo (just to get Swishy's juices flowing :P ).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Rattail 1927

More
3 years 9 months ago #211424 by wee-allis
Cobba, here in NSW you get 60 days of using your Historic registered vehicle, plus recognised club events, not 30. And yes, there are no load restrictions on any vehicles.

Previously, the law stated that and vehicle could only carry 50% of it's listed capacity. There was no discrimination between classes of vehicles, so a 5 passenger car could only carry 2 1/2 people, a motor bike had to be solo and so on. This annomoly was pointed out to the RMS at the time of the "Log Book Trial", and it was rectified.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, oliver1950

More
3 years 9 months ago #211437 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
As mentioned ,the NSW arrangement is only a trial ,due for review in 2021 IIRC........I think in Vic ,there is an even better scheme ,where you can get a longer use period by paying a slightly higher rego..........The story I was told ,may not be true,is that the MRD offered Qld clubs the option of a logbook scheme,and for whatever reason ,certain vested interests in the car clubs were dead set against it........A lot of the opponents were the same people who hire out vintage /classic wedding cars using some little known loophole in the SIVS laws.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211439 by cobbadog
Thanks for the correction wee-allis. I feel it is a very generous set up as it is and yes it is still a trial run due for review soon. As far as feed abck from our Club there has not been any comments for or against the scheme and of any issues happening. There was a story, fact ot fiction going around about some Chamberlain tractor drivers abusing the priviledge of the new trial by doing a run around Australia. I never did hear any more about it.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211454 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Off topic I know..Cobba the review of the "log book trial" was done by RMS September last year. It is now permanent but there are related details such as an electronic version which are being worked through. As you say it is a really good scheme and worth protecting. Only belatedly have RMS removed some of the dodgy clubs and there have been a few occasions when RMS have visited car shows (in metro areas only) and got the accompanying Highway Patrol to remove number plates from cars which did not meet historic criteria.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, cobbadog, wee-allis, Rattail 1927

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds