Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213762 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Thanks Cobba

Looks abut the same weight as mine. What is the spring rod thickness.

Lang

More
3 years 8 months ago #213763 by cobbadog
I will measure it tomorrow for you. I will scrape off the 20 layers of paint first.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214595 by Lang
Got my crane today. Probably a bit bigger than required but beat them down to $1,000 for a very lightly used unit. Only reason for selling is the outrageous cost of recertification.

It is a German C3500 Atlas. Will lift 1.3 tonnes at 6.5 metres. Not sure whether it has the pull-out fly to give me nearly 8 metres. Good thing about it is the oil tank is on the crane saving all the work, sourcing a tank and plumbing it in for the usual remote system.

Should fit on quickly behind the Mack cab. Here is a C3500 on a truck.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 7 months ago #214597 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
You have done well.

Do you have the pump for the transmission?

Will you make the support brackets for the chassis or were you lucky enough to get them with the crane?

More
3 years 7 months ago #214602 by Lang
Had a look at a couple of trucks and they just have about 750mm long 75mm square heavy wall tube sitting on the chassis rail to spread the weight. There should be no weight on the chassis on a big lift, it all should be on the legs. Most have a crush block in the chassis rail to stop the U-bolts bending the flanges. Actually they are just through bolts with plates rather than u-bolts.

Still looking for a 3 bolt female spline pump to go on the PTO already on the transmission. The blokes in Wagga have them but hoping to find a second hand one.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214615 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Atlas is a good solid crane,but heavy ......biggest fault IMHO ,is the tendency for the folded up crane to damage the main lift ram ......even slightly extended the end of the boom hits the chrome ...very easy to do,if you dont secure the catch before folding..........I bought a lot of double extension booms and bits from the railways years ago ...they had engineered their own extra hydraulic extension for the 30-06 Atlas cranes they had.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 7 months ago #214623 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Lang, That looks like a great buy. You will need a crane to lift it onto Froggie Dog. It will make a great display at truck shows and even at Clearing Sales.:ohmy:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 7 months ago #214634 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
I see lots of trucks about with old cranes ...dunno how the 'cranesafe" applies to truck cranes in Qld ......maybe you can sneak in under the 3 ton limit ?.....Used to do the inspections on travel lifts at the sandblasters ,everthing stripped ,sandblasted ,x rayed welds and stress points ,hydraulics all gone through and replaced .........funny thing was Col bought a 24 ton 4 wheeler cherry picker from a dealer in Sydney ,with a just done 10 year inspection ,and underneath the machine was all old hoses,slew circle bolts ,nothing touched in the way of replacements.......on top ,all the hoses were painted black to seem new.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214636 by Lang
John

It will just be a Special Interest registered vehicle. The crane is only for show and will never be used.

lang

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds