Skip to main content

Lang's new Mack toy carrier

More
3 years 5 months ago #215614 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
My JCB backhoe control levers must have come out the same factory, and similarly I have been told the valve blocks can be turned 45 degrees to make the lever movement relate to boom and dipper direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215624 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
I have often wondered why it is that on a crane you push the lever UP to go up but on a forklift you push the lever DOWN to go up?
I don't want to start a battle but all I can think of is that cranes were invented in England and forklifts were invented in America.:woohoo: :evil:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zuffen

More
3 years 5 months ago #215625 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
I think it is an attempt to have intuitive movement.

Fork Lifts have vertical levers and the intuitive movement is to pull back to lift something.

Cranes have horizontal levers and the intuitive movement is to lift the knob to lift something or make the legs go up or down. Cranes also have various actions such as extension and rotation that can not be catered for with up down action on a horizontal lever group in an intuitive manner and have to be learned or look at the picture on the knob..

Best get a crane with a magic electronic remote control box to save the "test" movement to check whether you are going the right way - all old cranes seem to have the direction picture worn off the knobs.

Lang

More
3 years 5 months ago #215626 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
I know very little, apart from occasional use of a small tractor mounted (3 lever) FEL with 4-in-1 bucket.

But from a bit of reading when I was researching back-hoes and mini excavators a few weeks ago, apparently there are nowadays two different styles (standards) of lever movements - ISO and SAE. More expensive machines allow you to set which movement pattern you wish, based on what you are used to. If you are used to ISO and get on another machine, you select ISO and everything works as you are used to, and vice versa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
3 years 5 months ago #215633 by cobbadog
That's right Allan.
The little Kubota mini excavator I hired last weekend had that as an option to change the directions of the levers. As it turned out it was exactly as I had remembered from my earth moving days of old so I left it as it was. We used to call it "KATO" controls. The movements on a Kato excavator turned out to be the most common and wanted system for back hoes and excavators. RH lever pull back and the main boom lifted, push forward and it dropped. RH lever to the right was slew to the right and LH lever to the left and it slewed to the left.
Left side lever, push forward and the dipper arm went out and opposite when pulled back LH lever to the left crowded the bucket and opposite when moved to the right.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215675 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Backhoes used to be a pain ...there was at least three different stick systems ,sometimes on the one brand .......I prefer the two stick ,but it seems some owners thought the four way levers wore out too quick ,so wanted the older four stick controll .......then there was the three stick system,which I hated ,but some loved..............One time Palms got in a near new Case 580 to be converted to two stick from three stick........rep from Case came round and checks the numbers .........machine was stolen a few months before from a Case dealership in NSW.............guy had bought a "cheap backhoe" from someone in a pub for $25k cash............no machine ,no money .

More
3 years 5 months ago #215696 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
I hired a baby Kubota recently too. It had that change stick option, thought they had standardised years ago.
Kato controls is what we used to call the odd system, probably because it came on Kato diggers. Owners had to get them converted to Cat if they ran a mix of machines.
Those baby diggers sure do toss you about. Even with the blade down they’re like a bucking bronco compared to my old 11t Sumitomo.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216851 by Lang
Looks like I might be in trouble with the Midliner.

Reverse and extra low were almost impossible to get and now nothing. The selector rod on the top of the box goes across OK to the right gate but then the stick is just locked in the neutral position. Slipping clutch with pressure on the stick will not help slide it in. Rest of the forward section works very nicely both low and high range.

Talked to three well known shops in Sydney and Brisbane and they do not want to know anything about Renault gearboxes.

Web search has found little but praise for them in Europe and no clues as to the problem. The American trucks and some Australian Midliners had an Eton box.

Any clues much appreciated as a new box will be more than the truck is worth and points the way to getting rid of it and buying a replacement.

Renault B9
Serial GN 24339CF

More
3 years 3 months ago #216853 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationUntil you Take it Out & pull it to Bits We're All only second Guessing, Lang..

This might help

Did you Try Truck Transmissions at Chipping Norton?? www.trucktransmissions.com.au/

Also Do a search here www.bigmacktrucks.com/ There's plenty of Threads (& knowledge) about Midliners on there..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #216854 by Lang
Thanks Hayseed. I really don't want to give up on it although I could easily replace it with a ACCO Cummins with an Auto or Mechanical gearbox for around the same money. What I have now is an unusual lovely driving truck not just one of the crowd.

Unfortunately $6-7,000 gearbox overhaul on a $5,000 truck really does not make a lot of sense.

Good thing the crane and beavertail have not been fitted as they will go on anything.

Will still try to get more info as it does not seem to be a huge fault requiring everything replaced.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds