Skip to main content

Lang's new Mack toy carrier

More
3 years 10 months ago #211504 by cobbadog
Or should it be known as the "Frog Dog"?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211506 by Southbound
V8Ian's quote
Lang, I'm sure you know they're a badge engineered Renault, that are held in esteem by the European drivers.

From Wiki, Renault engines

1988 Mack CS300P, the conventional version of the Mid-Liner model
American Mack also used the Club of Four cabin, thanks to their linkup with Renault (who purchased 10 percent of Mack in 1979[8]). These competed in the Class 6 and Class 7 medium-duty weight categories. Built by RVI in France, it was sold as the Mack Mid-Liner or Manager. Originally it was available in MS200 or MS300 models, fitted with 5.5 or 8.8 litre turbocharged diesel inline-six engines respectively. These were built by Renault and offered 175 hp (130 kW) or 210 hp (157 kW).[9] The MS300 was also available as a tractor unit. The Mack Mid-liner range was replaced in 2001 by the new Mack Freedom, also built by Renault.[8] A heavier duty version with the less powerful engine was introduced in the mid-1980s, called the MS250.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Southbound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211573 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Interesting link to the Club of Four cabs on these trucks. Huge numbers used by a lot of manufacturers. Must have been a good design and popular with the customers for so many to be built over a decade or more.

www.wikiwand.com/en/Club_of_Four
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
3 years 10 months ago #211575 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
The design was good for the time but wasn't good enough for Volvo which is why they went their own way with the F10 & F12 cab which had started out as a club of 4 agreement.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211583 by Lang
As Julius Caesar said "Veni, Vidi, Vici" I came, I saw, I conquered.

As Lang said "Veni, Vidi, Vende" I came, I saw, I bought it.

Lang
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211587 by Lang
Do we have an expert driver out there.

The owner or should I say, ex-owner, inherited this truck and although he has his own trucks was at a bit of a loss how to shift gears.

It is 8 speed (I think ZF) plus extra deep low. B9-150 The shift pattern has gone from the stick. I sort of figured out it is 4 + 4 but it has no high low button I could see. There is a stick switch but that seems to be the deep low selector and not normal range change. Trial and error seemed to drop it into high range by whacking the stick right over to the right in neutral. Being empty I happily completed the drive in high but not too clear on getting it back to low range. Is it another whack to the right or to the left going down?

Still searching the internet and found later boxes but not the 1980's ones.

Any hints?

Lang

More
3 years 10 months ago #211588 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Don't ask me,Lang,
I could show you how to drive a Model T Ford but not FrogDog, or should that be FroggieDog? When you get it sorted out, I am sure it will serve you well.

I like the quote from Julius Caesar, when he visited Rome. I sent it on a postcard showing a picture of a ruined stone building, to my work when I was on holiday in Canberra and nobody, not even the Chartered Accountants or the Lawyer, knew what it meant or where it came from.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 10 months ago #211589 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Lang, It's not like one of those Fuller 8 speeds that were around in the 80's , is it? Pushed the stick away from you to engage the low range, go through the 4 lower gears, come back to nuetral, pull the stick across towards you which would engage high range, go through the next four?? No actual shift button either on the stick or the dash, but worked off the selectors in the box cover. Nothing wrong with them as long as you made sure you drained your air tanks of sludge regularly. ZF had a similar set up on later model MAN but you pushed the stick downwards as if you were trying to push it into the floor for low range, lifted the stick as if you were trying to pull it out of the floor for high range. Again, good set up once you got used to it. May help. Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, V8Ian

More
3 years 10 months ago #211591 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Lang, push/snap the gearlever to the left for low range, right for high.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211592 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
The ZF in my Bros MAN'S was vertical i think 4 under push down and 4 up which was a sort of neutral position. I think the only column shift I drove was the same too. Low range past the spring seems to be go down or left. Actually was one of them 6 speed , 2 down 2 middle 2 up.... I'm not old but it was a long few years back.

Well done Lang, photos to follow no doubt.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.592 seconds