Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 11 Nov 2020 23:12 #216290

• Dutchman
  • Dutchman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Yes you are right, we have too inspect the slave wheel cylinders. After bleeding today we found out that, we have brake fluid on 4 wheels w/o air, but no build up pressure. The pedal comes up very good, soo the master brake cylinder is ok.

Next round, after good brake pressure we think about the booster, stap by stap.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 06 Aug 2021 21:59 #224243

• Dutchman
Goodmorning, an update about the brake problem. I have decided to replace the master brake cylinder for new one, complete with booster. New brake lines!

Now we have brake oil plenty on rear en front side, only does not build up pressure. Its time to take off the rear cylinders first for inspection, I think a mess.

What do you think, change for new? because here we have no parts for overhaul the cylinders.

Best,

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 07 Aug 2021 06:54 #224249

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2432
If brake fluid is making its way to the rear axle and leaking out onto the ground the wheels, drums etc have to come off

Sounds like the wheel cylinders are crook

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 07 Aug 2021 07:56 #224250

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 929
Hello Dutchman because of the time difference your good morning message reached me at 11.59pm last night.
I agree with Mrsmackpaul the fact that you are getting brake fluid to the rear wheels indicates that the problem lies in the rear wheel cylinders. You told us in November last year that the Master Cylinder had been replaced with a new one, therefore there should be no problem with that cylinder.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 07 Aug 2021 10:03 #224254

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1096
Bedford J5s had the Girling wedge brake system at one time ...(J5 s cover a very long period .....in fact they were still being made in South Africa and Pakistan in more recent times.).......The Girling system is not like other hydraulic brakes ,and IMHO ,would be the most expensive hydraulic system to repair if things like cylinders and expanders are badly detoriated.

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 07 Aug 2021 13:35 #224262

• jon_d
  • Thank you received: 190
I would have them sleeved with stainless steel. It will be cheaper than finding new cylinders. Plus, they will be good for a life time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dutchman

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 07 Aug 2021 19:43 #224274

• Dutchman
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284397780753?hash=ite...1:g:WQ8AAOSwZrteqZxs

The cylinder no leaks oil, it has plenty fluid of the main cylinder. So..that is good.

Only now the system build no up pressure, we have adjust the brake shoes and bleeding the lines.

Best,
Attachments:

Last edit: by Dutchman.

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 07 Aug 2021 21:35 #224277

• cobbadog
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1540
Sounds mostly like an air lock in the lines or cylinders. Can you confirm that the cylinders are moving when you do put pressure on the brake pedal? Maybe the cylinders have frozen. If parts are hard to get in your country then as suggested fit stainless sleeves and make them a standard size ID that is available to you.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 08 Aug 2021 07:29 #224282

• wee-allis
  • Thank you received: 954
Tell me if I'm wrong, but that looks suspiciously like a dual circuit master cylinder, hooked up to just one circuit. If so, it would not be putting out enough fluid to operate the 4 brakes, therefore, no pressure.

Been wrong before.
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Brakes Bedford J5 truck 08 Aug 2021 09:45 #224286

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 929
Dutchman, have you removed and inspected the cylinder from each wheel? This must be done and any worn or perished rubber parts replaced with new. If the bore of the cylinder is not perfectly smooth and rust free, it must be honed or re-sleeved as COBBADOG said. I see that you have accessed eBay UK but new wheel cylinders or the kit of parts to fit each should be obtainable from suppliers in Britain, as should a service to re-sleeve your cylinders at much less cost than the master cylinders on the eBay link you showed.

If it is possible to replace the cylinder with the bleed nipple facing either up or down, It must be fitted with the bleed nipple facing UP. It may require fitting the cylinder on the opposite side of the vehicle. I once made this mistake and was not able to obtain correct braking until I removed the cylinders and exchanged them to the opposite wheel.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558