Skip to main content

IH 1630

More
3 years 3 months ago #216702 by Mrsmackpaul
IH 1630 was created by Mrsmackpaul
Carried a IH 1630 home to a mates place today
Long story short, this has been in his family since pretty much new, the least amount of rust I have ever seen in one of these

So my mates brother lent it to some joker and on returning it some years ago the front axle was buggered
It is still rego'ed and runs pretty good, the perkins fires right up and the only not working is 4x4 front axle

So wondering what type of axle does it have ?
And what or whom would you chase for parts
And were would I look for numbers etc

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216707 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic IH 1630
Looks like the Dana front end......there are two front ends ,the IH one ,and the Dana ,which is more likely with a factory Perk ,due to sump clearance........Neither is very strong,and axles are easily breakable.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216712 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic IH 1630
Thanks John, I assume it has Dana cast into it some where

I'll check into and report back
Can axles and bits and bobs still be got or is it all second hand stuff ?

Paul

More
3 years 3 months ago #216716 by JOHN.K.
I d try Iveco first ,they still have a surprising lot of stuff for old Inters.......If its Dana hub to hub,then maybe US sourced parts will fit......Find out whats busted first ,they just have a common universal as a CV joint ...which is why the turning circle is about four football fields worth.......commonest disaster is driving on the road with front drive engaged ......break something for sure.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216727 by ihc partsman
Replied by ihc partsman on topic IH 1630
The D1630 4x4 had the Dana70 front axle assy, if it is the axle uni joint that you need, the bearing shop part number is 5-88x which is a 1480 series uni joint with no seals at the bearing caps, IH number 869620R91. Try Mike Calcutt at Fleetparts 0439-331881 he probably will have some new stock.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216735 by Mrsmackpaul
Thanks very much for that
I am pretty sure it has a crook rhs axle

We found the long LHS one in a tool box on the back
Havent spotted the RHS one yet and the LHS one is ok so guessing the other one is in it still and broken

Will report back when I know more

Paul

More
3 years 3 months ago #216753 by ihc partsman
Replied by ihc partsman on topic IH 1630
Some of the SEQEB later Energex C1600 4x4's had freewheeling hubs, that would help a lot, these would probably still be available from Selectro or Warn in the U.S.
Mike Calcutt should still have some axles as he got a few ton of 4x4 stuff from me some years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 3 months ago #216757 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic IH 1630
The OKA's have Dana 60 front and Dana 70 back. I suspect the axle size might be the same and if so look at this AVM chart.

www.avm.com.br/products4.htm

More
3 years 3 months ago #216758 by JOHN.K.
Its possible the whole outer end (steering knuckle) is the same between the Dana and the banjo IH axle ,which were optional at one time...........the Dlines were all Dana tho.................From memory ,the short axle in the hub is a lot weaker than the long inner shaft...and breaks first.....and is easily replaceable........I also recall the Selectro FWH were garbage and the parts would shear very quickly in a 1600.......Warn FWH a much better unit,but much earlier ,like AA and AB.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216762 by Mrsmackpaul

ihc partsman wrote: Some of the SEQEB later Energex C1600 4x4's had freewheeling hubs, that would help a lot, these would probably still be available from Selectro or Warn in the U.S.
Mike Calcutt should still have some axles as he got a few ton of 4x4 stuff from me some years ago.

Can you message me some contact details please

Thanks in advance

Paul

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds