Skip to main content

359 dodge truck build

More
3 years 3 months ago #216790 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 359 dodge truck build
I bought an old Austin once for the Hiab crane .......had been repowered with a P6 and a Dennis 4 speed gearbox.....gearbox looked like a bit larger copy of a T9 Warner .......and sounded like a siren in all the lower gears ......which got plenty of use with 80 hp from the Perk......Oddly enough ,when I wrecked the truck ,the gears all looked good ,very little wear ......Clutch was strange one ,Dennis own make ,the linings were stuck to the plate with round cork plugs.................however ,I have recently seen an AEC clutch with linings fixed by cork plugs.......supposed to be oil tolerant.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #216795 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 359 dodge truck build
The TE*-110 is a truck engine. T for truck and E for Fargo. I will get the details. I presume this comes off the stamped pad on the left front of the block. Should be followed by some numbers. It looks like not a KEW engine.

It is looking like a Canadian built 251 cu in engine.

Dodge trucks continued through to 1968 with a 250.6 cid version, used in the 1961-68 WM300 Power Wagon. Richard Davis noted that this version had replaceable hardened exhaust valve seats, full flow filtering, and full pressure oiling. It had 115 net hp at 7:1 compression until 1966, and in 1967-68 it had 125 net hp at 8:1 compression.

Australia received their trucks from the Windsor plant in Canada (just across the river from Detroit) because of British Empire trade tarifs. The Canadians called their trucks Fargo not Dodge. When the mechanicals - usually full rolling chassis but often with firewall or even full front tin work but no cab - arrived in Australia it is more than likely your tin-work was made in Adelaide by Richards (a Chrysler owned company).

They were then badge engineered for the Australian market as Fargo, Dodge or Desoto. North American cabs had no quarter windows, an easy way to tell, apart from the little Richards badge usually just in front of the passenger door.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tassie Dan

More
3 years 3 months ago #216803 by 1936ace
Replied by 1936ace on topic 359 dodge truck build
TassieDan, Hopefully, if you have to go to all the trouble of removing the box from the truck and stripping it, you will replace ALL bearings. It might save you doing it all again in a few months.:cheer:

More
3 years 3 months ago #216807 by Tassie Dan
Replied by Tassie Dan on topic 359 dodge truck build
Thank you Lang, that’s a great amount of information!!! I feel bad for joining this group and getting so much info and not being able to give any back.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216809 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 359 dodge truck build
Your picture is worth a thousand words.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216811 by Tassie Dan
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120

More
3 years 3 months ago #216812 by Tassie Dan
Replied by Tassie Dan on topic 359 dodge truck build
Here’s a few more pics. I have only added the shiny bits, painted a few bits and built the tray. I don’t want to fully rat rod it but I really like the old paint she has. She was sold new in Hobart to a large farm just east of Ross. From there one of my dads mates bought it 12 years ago and had plans to restore it so did the brakes and stuff but is too busy doing up tractors and said he was running out of time so he sold it to me. It probably should be fully restored as this style definitely won’t suit everyone but it’s something different which is what I wanted. Very open to every idea and tip so thank you very much for all the help so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 3 months ago #216816 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 359 dodge truck build
That front on night picture is a ripper!

Restored, or preserved are equally welcome here. It's only when things get chopped up LS'd and dropped on tonner chassis that some here get upset.
You appear to be keeping the soul of the truck intact, which is great. Having said that, it's your truck....

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #216825 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic 359 dodge truck build
An earlier version V8 powered with a load of Kellogg’s. My first interstate trip when I was a 13 year old passenger. Pure excitement for me.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, V8Ian, Tassie Dan

More
3 years 3 months ago #216849 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic 359 dodge truck build
Two standouts in that photo overnite, the height of the load & the size of the fuel tank!

Great looking truck Tassie Dan

cheers Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: overnite

Time to create page: 0.630 seconds