Skip to main content

What motor and box does a Boxer have in it?

More
3 years 2 months ago #217891 by Mrsmackpaul
What motor and box does a Boxer have in it, I know of a single drive Leyland G style cabbed job sitting about in Vic but unsure of the model

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #217895 by mammoth
The most common were fitted with natural aspirated BMC 698 motor and 5 sp ENV box and 2 speed diff. There were others with a Perkins. A lot of the survivors are going to India without cabs. Specs depended on GVM,

More
3 years 2 months ago #217900 by The Moth
For the “G” Cab Leylands, as they all basically look the same - the wheels are generally the easy quick way to ID them.
All “Terriers” sit on 6 bolt wheels as they are the lightest , mostly in 16 inch (stock , very common) – but can be 20 in (still 6 bolt, with 16 in brakes) - generally running a petrol V8 or a miserable tiny Perc diesel (247?) that was on old sold to Mazda in the mid 80’s. Air over hydraulic brakes , Turner 5 speed (or Allison 540 4 speed auto (I have a couple of Allison’s) and a single or optional Leyland 2 speed diff (not Eaton) – with power steering in only the later versions. A lot of small/short Leyland buses were based on Terrier Chassis, using 20’s , autos and P/S – particularly in SA.
All “Boxers” sit on 8 bolt rims – they are the most common version and they came in a few weight ranges from light to ‘bout 12 ton so they mix in with Air over hydraulic in the lights and full air brakes in the heavy’s – but they normally runs Leyland own 6-98 diesel six cyl engine, (sometimes a slightly bigger perc six (345 ?) - a non OD Turner 5 speed (or Allison 540 auto) and unless its the lightest (which will be single speed) – they basically have the same Eaton 2 speed diff as the Dodge - with power steering as they were mostly side by side competitors in the heavier ratings at the time.
The Reiver is a 10 bolt wheel Boxer – basically on steroids, using the 6-98 (turbo in later models) – often with a early Road ranger, and Eaton 2 speed. Some even got the Leyland “fixed head” engines, but they are a bit too heavy for what I want.
The Mastiff was the heavy – so mostly a Prime or something like a cement mixer in a chassis, 510 – 540 V8 Percs or similar, 5 speeds, Eaton splits, full air etc, etc,
Mostly the heavies are useless to me – as I have a few heavy Terriers, but I am building a big mobile home to tour the outback – so I want to go up to the next lever Boxer which is generally closest to the 3 Terriers I have – but I want the Boxers 20in brakes, Power steering and the split Eaton.
I have been eying off a few I.H. - Dodge 4x4 chassis with the thought of making the mobile home 4x4 with Dodge 4x4 gear as there are a few places I want to go that need 4x4 – so I will have a tag along , but it would be nice to take the whole rig there.
If it’s a 8 bolt – it’s the best bet. I am not concerned about the engine running / or trucks general condition – as I have a pile of spares – and a spare complete Leyland truck. Most 6-98’s either run or are dead (and a lot are dead nowadays), but I have Leyland’s about – not Dodges – so there is 100 little bits I can get off a Leyland, but a old 4x4 Acco or something I can cut up is cool too.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #217901 by The Moth
BTW, 6-98 was never a BMC motor and nearly nothing in a "G" cab uses a NV box - they are all Turners in a 5 speed - if not a bigger Eaton R/Ranger etc
BMC only played with little baby trucks - where as Leyland Motors did the big things worldwide.
After the 1968 BMC share takeover of Leyland Motors - BMC got access to the various forms of '98 series engines (3-98, 4-98, 6-98) - but there was a big difference between a small, converted BMC "Mini" style 4 cyl petrol engine - over to a little diesel not much more powerfull then a lawn mower - and a Leyland 98' series engine. The last BMC "diesel" I saw , was in a tractor with a scoop and a blade - the engine stalled if you tried to pick up too much - so the owner had fitted a Subaru turbo to it , to find a little bit more then the miserable factory hp.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by The Moth.

More
3 years 2 months ago #217906 by Mrsmackpaul
Next time I'm going past it I'll see what I can find out for you

Did these Boxer's ever come in 4x4 ?

Pretty sure Leyland made these to compete with the 4x4 acco

I'm sort of familiar with the 6 98 as they had them in the biggest tractors sold in Australia, the 285

I found them to be a very clean running motor and certainly comparable to the 6354 Perkins or the IH Neuss

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 months ago #217907 by JOHN.K.
The used to be a BMC Boxer down the road with a 185 Cummins and a #4 eaton diff.......there is also a catch with the 6/98.......they are near identical to the BMC 5.7.....I think the bore and stroke were changed due to wet liner cavitation.....and if you get old stock parts ,often as not they are the 5.7 parts......some of which are interchangeable......We bought a BX9 Boxer with a 6/98 in it ...within 12 months it was Perkins powered......never seen a motor with so many problems .....but that was Scottish Leyland all over.......Everthing came out of the factory was crap....The chassis broke under warranty,and Leyland at Rocklea couldnt fix it......took it back and welded it up ,and sttled out of court on the costs.

More
3 years 2 months ago #217908 by JOHN.K.
Leyland Australia made three 6x6 s for the army tests........IMHO the best part of them was the hub reduction diffs,but one still about has the diffs replaced with small Rockwells .......dunno why,maybe problems with brake drums

More
3 years 2 months ago #217911 by The Moth
They Leyland were made in 4x4 , 6x4 and 6x6 - mostly with "LAD" cabs , but some were in "G" cabs too - but only a small amount of them ever got to Austrlaia as they were a full import , and yes some were trilaed by the Australian Army - but by the time of the trials - the Leylands were getting long in the tooth engine wise and things like the ACCO 4x4 were cheaper.
As much as I would love to have a complete Leyland 4x4 axles and setup etc under my outback motorhome - I.H. or early Bedforsd style stuff is a hell of lot more common in Australia. and there is no need for the motorhome to be 100% original
If I break something in the middle of no where , I dont want to have to import parts out of England to make it work again.
I broke my outback charity rally car on the bottom of the birdsville track and it took 9 tries and 4 weeks - just to order a common , local - correct Ford B/W diff station wagon or ute rear wheel bearing - as no matter what I asked for - I got every other wheel bearing then a simple , common boring one that I could have brought at any Repco in 5 mins.
Such is the quality of parts supply in this country nowadays - I never actually got the right bearing, I found a complete s/h axle , and greased the bearing up to get out of there nad back to base.
So - a Leyland 4x4 setup would be nice , but a I.H. or similar setup (Itsuzu) would be smarter for the motor home

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #217912 by The Moth
I have (yet another) "G" cab Leyland to investigate, sitting on a farmlet in Horsham (Vic) - From the photos I was sent - it looks like a Terrier , and I dont really need more parts for them. which is why I would consider a Boxer (they have much bigger brakes etc) - or a 4x4 chassis to play about and convert with.
But I think the Dodge DF3 is a bit too good to just cut up and crush - and this is about trying to find a home for the DF3.
BMC and Leyland were two very distinct and differernt companies until late 1968 - with BMC being mostly a car and occasinal light commercial company , while the actual Leyland were heavy vehicles. A lot of Leyland truck stuff was rebadged as BMC and distrinutered though their networks in quite a few countries
Even in Australia , they were run as seperate companies until the 80's odd when they finially rationlised to Enfeild in NSW.
BMC cars (under whatever name) - were made mostly at Zetland in Sydney (or close enough to Zetland) , while actual Leyland Trucks were assembled in Footscray in Melbourne untill the final amalagamation in the early 80's - which by then the Volvos, Hinos etc were taking that market over and the "G" cab was well out of date and barely selling.
Dispite the almalgamation of DAF and Leyland , here in Australia the large trucks were sold as DAF's
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by The Moth.

More
3 years 2 months ago #217914 by JOHN.K.
I know well why Leylands wernt selling in the 70s.......disasterous reputation......for the Scottish Leylands .....they were faulty from new....ours wouldnt run right from the shop ...had all bent pushrods.......came back from Leyland Rocklea ,hammer marks in the rods ,and still bent.......No spares were available ....we had to buy a 5.7 from Duces and strip parts......next the steering box failed.....no spares ....again to the wreckers to get one.......Then all the rings broke and scored the liners......Leyland claimed it was our problem.....so we put a Perkins in the truck and sued Leyland....OH ,I forgot to mention ,the chassis broke.....Leyland blamed the crane ...it was on the back ,the break was behind the front springhanger......Leyland couldnt fix it ,so that was added to the lawsuit too.

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds