Skip to main content

What motor and box does a Boxer have in it?

More
3 years 2 months ago #217915 by mammoth
Bit of history. The only thing that is Leyland in a Boxer is the badge. The G cab was a development of the cab first fitted to the Morris FJ, by that time built at Bathgate Scotland and later called the Laird. Short lived with a problem engine. The development of that was the Boxer which got the 98 series motor (98mm bore). Following the collapse of British Motor Holdings -which was BMC(Austin Morris), Rover etc cars & trucks - government intervention forced ownership onto Leyland Motors Ltd, the combination being called British Leyland Motor Company. Around this time the truck lines were divided into Blueline, Greenline and Redline. The Blue was for genuine Leyland/Albion/Scammell/AEC; The Green for Guy and some other custom type marques, and Red for the ex BMC Scottish stuff. The Reiver, is a re-cabbed Albion and totally different to the BMC Boxer. Leyland Australia played a lot of mix and match, as well as Australian content which explains the confusion over the different versions in Aus. The out-lyer is the Terrier which was a new design rather than a tired re-tread- the poms got the Jap Perkins and little wheels while Leyland Australia did a great job fitting the Ausie made V8 petrol and other good bits.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #217916 by The Moth
Ah – now I remember why I stopped using this forum and moved to other platforms , as the large amounts of general abuse , rubbish and experts that can be present here.
I’ve fixed Volvos, Mercedes, Kenworths , Macks , GM’s , Dodges and a bunch of other stuff – for those who cannot help themselves but bag Leyland’s to try to impress themselves – on a thread about a basically free Dodge - how about you all get over it.
I don’t care if you don’t like Leylands – that’s not my problem , its yours - as all trucks are built to a price and they all break at times – which is why there are so many types, and everyone loves “their” own version of pet truck.
There are people who hate KW, as there are those who hate White’s, and Reos , etc , etc - and they all think they are the greatest pieces of rubbish about, because they had one once “blah, blah, blah, balh”
And if you feel you must try to play history, try to at least get it truly correct.
Remember we are trying to save or help someone with a Dodge, so other then tying to impress yourself – your comments are pointless here and just show who you are.
I am surprised you are not complaining about the DF3 too. You could always go the LAD cabs – then you can get Leyland , Albion’s and Dodges – all at once (assuming only the cab is what makes the truck).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 2 months ago #217919 by Mrsmackpaul
Fair call there, and there should be a lesson here for all of us

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 2 months ago #217926 by Swishy
RE: a lesson here

if U can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen

every body is intitled to there own opinion ........ take it or leave it

my heap of sh!t is better than your heap of sh!t

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, 180wannabe, Southbound, Aussie Truckin

More
3 years 2 months ago #217930 by prodrive
Yep, I must say that I actually enjoy the "to and fro" of peoples opinions. I know that topics do wander around all over the place (once again I'm responsible for doing it myself!) but I think thats a good thing. Of course, thats as long as the conversation is respectful and decent- which I have always found this forum to be. It's one of the problems with bookface, everyone seems to feel like they need to criticise rather than be constructive.
I haven't thought that about this post, in any way at all.
In fact for me, who has no interest in a "free leyland chassis etc"- I have still read all the posts, and learned quite a bit about the various models, and the trials and tribulations of the various leyland brands. I'd read more, if anyone puts it up!
And thats what I reckon a "forum" is all about.
As Swishy says, 'wot sez you"?
Cheers!
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, hayseed, 180wannabe, cobbadog, cro, Dave_64, wouldyou, Morris, Southbound, wee-allis and 2 other people also said thanks.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds