Unidentified ~What is in this picture?

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218766 by Roderick Smith
More unidentified:
201101Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Barossa-Yalumba-truck.jpg
201104W-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Brunswick-SydneyRd-~1956.jpg [uncleaned]

Roderick

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: replace a b&w which was showing wrongly
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218768 by wee-allis
First one is a Morris Comical and the second one, either a Leyland Comet or perhaps Thames and as it's carrying Fords, more likely a Thames.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by wee-allis.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218770 by Mrsmackpaul
Thornycroft made some special looking trucks as pretty as the lower one

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 months ago #218773 by hayseed

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Roderick Smith

More
3 years 2 months ago #218784 by overnite
Morris Commercial and Leyland Comet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
3 years 2 months ago #218787 by Lang
And the one parked behind the Comet?

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218790 by mammoth
More specifically Morris LC5 (unlikely to be the rare LC4, the NV series looked very similar so stand to be corrected), Leyland Comet (sits higher than a Ford and there is a 'comet 90' badge on the side of the bonnet), Bedford hiding behind. Thought the following transporter; might be a series 3 Morris/BMC but mudguards and front clip is wrong for that choice.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by mammoth.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218792 by Morris
Twice this morning I have typed a detailed reply to this and just as I have finished it has disappeared. This is my third and last try. Each one has been different as more information has been posted.
Mammoth, I agree it is highly unlikely to be the super-rare LC4 which was an interim model with the LC3 engine in what was to be the LC5 truck. It is much more likely to be an LC5 (LC for Light Commercial?) from 1953 to about 1956. It had the Austin A70 motor and a carrying capacity of 25 or 30 hundredweight (one and a quarter to one and a half ton) depending on which book you read. In July 1952 the British Government forced Austin, Morris and a few smaller makers to amalgamate into British Motor Corporation (BMC) and they badge engineered models of cars and trucks mostly with the more modern Austin engines. The NVS three and Five tonners had the same sheetmetal as the LC5 but the wheelcaps on the Yalumba one identify it as an LC

The following car carrier is not a Series 3 Morris/BMC as the shape of the sheetmetal is all wrong as is the position of the headlights. I think it is an earlier Leyland.

Somewhere on this thread I saw a guess of Bedford for one of the trucks but I will stick with Leyland for the car carrier and I thing the truck at the curb is a General Motors product, Chev GMC or Mapleleaf.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 2 months ago #218793 by Lang
I would say the old girl has just taken off from the lights from the cloud of smoke.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218794 by wee-allis
The car carrier behind could be Leyland or perhaps even GUY. The car being rapidly overtaken by the Comet, (LOL), is a Pontiac and the one at the kerb is possibly an Oldsmobile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds