Skip to main content

Unidentified ~What is in this picture?

More
2 years 10 months ago #222253 by Roderick Smith
I've had no luck yet getting a match looking at 1935 models from the Chrysler stable. The two boxy vehicles aren't Rolls-Royces: the grilles are wrong.
That sign is advertising national games in SA, 25.1 to 1.2.
Victoria would have been competing, and VR would have run one or more special trains taking spectators. I haven't had time to use Trove to look for an advertisement for the games or a for a special train. The centenary website listed a July event, and all of the major ones in Nov.-Dec.
VR did run a special train for cricket fans to the infamous 1932-33 bodyline test series. That was at cheap fares, during the depression at its worst. My father took the opportunity to have a cheap visit to Adelaide, and didn't go to the cricket.
King George V died on 20.1.1936 I suspect that mourning drapes would be placed for 7 days.
Roderick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222255 by overnite
The sloper is a 1935 Chev master.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
2 years 10 months ago #222257 by Roderick Smith
Thanks, that fits the bill. Most online photos are of saloons or coupes, and most have been rodded. What counts are the grille, headlamps, bonnet and windscreen.
Here is a good one: c1.staticflickr.com/7/6128/6038134614_709980ffd1_b.jpg
There is a chance that the body was built by Holden in Adelaide. I'm not sure when it moved to pressed-metal capability. That would show on trucks of the era.

VR ran cheap return-excursion fares to Adelaide for a whole week for the games, the opening event of a year of celebrations.
On Thurs.23.1.1936 a special excursion train left Melbourne at 14.30 for Adelaide, presumably with dinner at Ballarat (a much larger venue than Ararat), with Geelong passengers joining there; then breakfast at Murray Bridge. They had Friday to recover before the opening on Saturday. In that era, there would be no games on Sunday. Adelaide was known as the 'City of churches'.

Roderick

More
2 years 10 months ago #222393 by mikeg
My best guess. Turning is 29 Buick tourer, 31 4door Model A Ford, 33 Chrysler, 35 Chev sloper and last is a 29 A model Ford roadster.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222401 by wee-allis

My best guess. Turning is 29 Buick tourer,. 31 4door Model A Ford, 33 Chrysler, 35 Chev sloper and last is a 29 A model Ford roadster.

Front bumper is definitely not 31 A Ford.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by wee-allis.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222409 by Roderick Smith
Another streetscape. This one is from a folio of Footscray photos to which I linked via Metro Twitter; now I can't find the link.
I guess that this is a 1935 Chevrolet.

Roderick
Attachments:

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #223200 by Roderick Smith
"180805-'BrisbaneTimes'-Sydney-ParramattaRd-a-1945-ss.jpg"
"180805-'BrisbaneTimes'-Sydney-ParramattaRd-b-1945-ss.jpg"
"180805-'BrisbaneTimes'-Sydney-ParramattaRd-e-1959-ss.jpg"
"180805-'BrisbaneTimes'-Sydney-ParramattaRd-f-1964-s.jpg"
180805-'BrisbaneTimes'-Sydney-ParramattaRd-d-1950-forhcvc.jpg

Roderick

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Lang, overnite, PaulFH, Brocky45, oliver1950

More
2 years 9 months ago #223211 by Brocky45
In the last picture the 46 to 48 Chevy parked at the right side curb. Is it a Chevy or a Holden??? When did Holden start??

More
2 years 9 months ago #223213 by hayseed
Looks a Damn sight wider than It is Today....

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/23431

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 9 months ago #223214 by Roderick Smith
It's a Chev, not a Holden. The size is the clue. The original 1948-56 Holden body did resemble a scaled down Chev; then the 1956-69 did the same.
I've kept this scan at maximum size to help with identification.
I'm voting Ford Pilot for the front right vehicle: an Australian-built UK model, with the classic Ford side-valve V8.

Roderick
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overnite

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds