Skip to main content

Grey Ghosts air cleaner set up

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220381 by Blackduck59
roKWiz, sorry the only inside to outside one on that list is the EBA.
The FW the air enters the side, goes over the fins then through the filter and out the top.
Guess the Cyclopac name refers to the cyclone action of the air passing those fins and hopefully dumping most of the dirt into the collector/base cover.
Cheers Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #220384 by roKWiz

Blackduck59 wrote: roKWiz, sorry the only inside to outside one on that list is the EBA.
The FW the air enters the side, goes over the fins then through the filter and out the top.
Guess the Cyclopac name refers to the cyclone action of the air passing those fins and hopefully dumping most of the dirt into the collector/base cover.
Cheers Steve

Nup, you lost me, I;m curious now.
Doesn't the air enter from the top on a FW, the most commonly use Cylcopac on cabovers ? Like shown
Anyone one know what EBA means, shop manuals give no reference to the initials.

!

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by roKWiz.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220385 by Blackduck59
Got me too.
Does not show in your pics but do those have the evacuator (duck bill) boots on the lower cover? If so they are plumbed wrong for dirt control. Will still work but life of filter maybe a little shorter.
Cheers Steve

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220386 by roKWiz

Blackduck59 wrote: Got me too.
Does not show in your pics but do those have the evacuator (duck bill) boots on the lower cover? If so they are plumbed wrong for dirt control. Will still work but life of filter maybe a little shorter.
Cheers Steve

Yes, they are mounted towards the centre of the lower removal debris pan

Damn that Kenworth company for building my truck wrong.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220387 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Grey Ghosts air cleaner set up
Here is the one on my Mack. I believe exactly the same as the first Grey Ghost and the restoration.

Side entry, steel cover opposite intake, dust and water into can and out a bottom duck-bill outlet. No fins on filter element.

My Perkins OKA has exactly the same unit but about 2/3 the size. There are two paper filter element "tubes" one inside the other with no fins.

Attachments:

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #220388 by Blackduck59
Yep weird.
If the air goes into the centre of the filter as shown how does the debris pan and evacuator work? Maybe KW figured with the intake above the cab there was not enough excess dirt to worry about. The evacuator will still let any rain drain out.
Never liked the air filters that take the air from the outside of the element into the engine, any bad cover seal, cracked housing or rust holes and dirt has a direct entry into the engine.

Cheers Steve
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Blackduck59.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #220396 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Grey Ghosts air cleaner set up
This is the side entry set up. Obviously it would run Ok set up backwards but there then would be no dust or water separation from the paper filter and it would clog quickly. I don't believe they used this type backwards but that the end entry design has a completely different set up to swirl and dump water and dust before entering the paper element.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220397 by Lang

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #220400 by roKWiz
To me the cabover KW ones enter down through the middle evacuating debris straight down while filtering the air out through the sides with the cyclonic effect of the outer fins drawing the clean air out into the intake.
Just my theory.
I note on the ones I been looking at have the duck lip in the centre of the bottom pan. Similar to SAR and W model Donaclones.

My Mazda and Ford Traders (all Perkins type diesels) earlier cab one has the fins cyclone effect air filter, later one don't but all use a similar air intake set up.

Heritage Stonemason
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by roKWiz.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #220423 by jimbo51
With the FWA 16 air cleaners fitted vertically in the standard KW cabover position they are top entry and the vacuator is mounted on the bottom of the dustcap - p/n P10-3831. Turn them 90 degrees as on the ghost rigid pans and some prime movers and they become side entry and the vacuator cup is mounted on the side of the dustcap - p/n P10-6952

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds