Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Leyland Contractor 19 Sep 2021 10:59 #225857

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1096
The army pretty much replaced the Scammels with S 3600 Inters,......hardly need giant oddball trucks,when everyone else has off the peg trucks road train rated more than the army trucks........But I see recently ,the army s desire for weird ,expensive trucks has come to the fore ,and they have the weird powered boxes with lots of wheels...........which wheels they dont seem to be able to keep pointing downward.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Leyland Contractor 12 Dec 2021 22:55 #229369

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2445
Noticed this one today while browsing for something else I still have found

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, V8Ian, oliver1950, Swanny

Leyland Contractor 13 Dec 2021 16:02 #229397

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1564
Has there ever been any issues with the press in fit of the spindles? It doesn't look as if it is pinned or welded.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Leyland Contractor 13 Dec 2021 19:26 #229416

• Mrsmackpaul
I have a lot of McGrath axles and never had a issue yet

Paul

Leyland Contractor 13 Dec 2021 19:35 #229417

• JOHN.K.
Back in the 60s,Mc Grath used to advertize that all the trailer frames were made in his Virginia USA rolling mills.....When they closed down the trailer business,I was talking to the sales manager who had worked for them from before WW2.....like many old established businesses ,the younger generation saw more return from the real estate than making stuff in Oz.

Leyland Contractor 14 Dec 2021 06:55 #229442

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 493
Twaz an article on McGrath/Freighter incarnations, maybe in VTC Magazine but also a book by Dennis Brooks advertised on this forum. The first high tensile trailer frames were pressed by Rubery Owen in England until they got their own organised in Brisbane. Maybe Fruehauf was the USA connection?? For axles they tried all sorts including old railway wagon axles and the design in the advert solved all previous problems. I believe the stubs were welded enough only to keep them in place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Leyland Contractor 14 Dec 2021 12:41 #229458

• JOHN.K.
Id say the ads Ive seen would have been in the old Sunday Truth..........back in the day,the Truth was THE place to buy and sell trucks and stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Leyland Contractor 14 Dec 2021 17:17 #229469

• rex
  • Thank you received: 105
Gentlemen There are various ways to fit the stub axle the most common is shrink fit. The method requires the axle to be slightly larger than the tube by applying heat to the tube it expands and allows the axle to drop in. Another method is to drop the axle in and while the tube is still hot rotate it in the axle tube about a quater of a turn would achieve a friction weld. Current production in the most advanced factories takes the tube and by using a forge shape the end of the tube to within a close size to the finished spindle the axle is then machined to bearing tolerances all one peice no stub no tube just the tube.
Rex
Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Leyland Contractor 15 Dec 2021 07:26 #229497

• Mrsmackpaul

Twaz an article on McGrath/Freighter incarnations, maybe in VTC Magazine but also a book by Dennis Brooks advertised on this forum. The first high tensile trailer frames were pressed by Rubery Owen in England until they got their own organised in Brisbane. Maybe Fruehauf was the USA connection?? For axles they tried all sorts including old railway wagon axles and the design in the advert solved all previous problems. I believe the stubs were welded enough only to keep them in place.

I have heard of such a book but have never seen it advertised

Is there any details on the book please

Paul

Leyland Contractor 15 Dec 2021 08:30 #229499

• Lang
  • Lang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6634
Paul

I have a copy- good info.

mcgrath trailer book
Here you go folks, it's no longer a secret.

A history of these two companies from the 1930s to 1990 with early semi trailer history.
An A4 size publication with this size print (12 point) and able to be laid flat for reading.
It now runs to 225 pages.
It contains sales training notes, advertisements and timelines to assist in dating trailers.
Two ways to obtain your copy
1. Order a copy at a Club Meeting
$25 a copy.
See Dennis Brooks at a meeting
2. By post
Send a cheque or postal order for $40 to
Dennis Brooks
PO Box 2366
Blackburn South 3130
(It now weighs 675 grams and postal charges went up.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Time to create page: 2.272 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558