Skip to main content

1938 Fargo FG3-59

More
2 years 7 months ago #224151 by DanB80
1938 Fargo FG3-59 was created by DanB80
Hi all, I've recently bought this 1938 Fargo FG3-59 (1.5 ton, 159in) It's a Detroit built truck serial 8338509.

I bought in near Tamworth but apparently it originally came from the west coast and was a military vehicle. Does anyone here know much about the military history of these as I'd be keen to know?

The truck has the original side valve 6 which is seized. The 4 speed box is very stiff and doesn't go into 2nd. Wheel bearings and diffs feel good though. The diff is about 5.3:1. Can anyone tell me the exact ratio and what these diffs are? We're there versions with less reduction that could be used to swap out the centre?

The cab is by Richards in Adelaide and is rusted in the lower few inches as are the doors. Going to need a bit of new metal.

The plan is to get it on the road and use it with minimal work/restoration. Although I'd like to keep it mostly original and preserve it I'm thinking it might be easier/cheaper and a bit more fun to drop in a more recent engine & box (318 with NP435) and keep the original motor and box aside.

Would appreciate any feedback, ideas or other info on the history of these trucks.

Dan

Dan B
1942 F60L Blitz (IH engine transplant) forestry truck
1938 Fargo FG3-59 project for road use
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224154 by DanB80
Replied by DanB80 on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Also it came with 7.00x20 tyres on the front and with some spare 7.5x20s. Rims are 4". Can anyone tell me what were the standard tyre size options on these?

Dan B

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224155 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Looks like a great find!!! If it were me I would look for a good, but maybe bigger, Chrysler side valve engine to replace your stuck one, if it cannot be freed up. This would give you more power but yet look original.. Without all the modifications necessary to make a 318 V8 Fit into the engine compartment.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Brocky45.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Tassie Dan, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224156 by Tassie Dan
Replied by Tassie Dan on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Looks like a great project. Look forward to seeing more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224157 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Lang is the guru on military vehicles. Currently on a trek for the 75th anniversary of the end of WW2 convoy.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/truck_Chat/19679-back-to-the-track

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224161 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Congratulations on making the plunge. Ok, you like the look and feel of an old truck which represents (great?)grandad's working life, including the hard and uncomfortable bits. Turning it into a hot rod throws that heritage away and the idea of slowing down down and smelling the roses also gets thrown out with the bath water. It's your truck so your toy to do what you wish. Making major re-powers means you will need an engineering certificate whether it is on full or club classic rego.
Your first plan to get it serviceable and on the road as is the recommended route. Once there you can meet other owners, learn more about it, acquire more spare parts, and only then make plans for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, PaulFH, wee-allis, Brocky45, PDU, oliver1950, Tassie Dan, DanB80

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 7 months ago #224162 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
M. W. W.
Mammonths Wize Words
good advice
most will agree
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224164 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
DanB80,
As with anything, you are going to get either the "rivet counters" who will tell you that the moment you make even a minor alteration, your destroying the whole concept.
Then you'll get the "hot rodders" espousing that you should go the whole hog! Drop a 550 cu in Keith Black in it and blast the doors off everything in the street.
Started quite a few of these projects over the years myself, only advice I would put forward is have a fair idea of what YOU want it to end up like, set a budget for it ( and then double it!), and just accept that it may take a lot longer than you first thought.
Lots of clued up blokes on here, most will forward the benefits of their wisdom. Dont be afraid to ask even the most mundane questions, theres always something we can all learn.
Most important? Enjoy what youre doing, if you don't it becomes a drudgery not to mention a bottomless money pit.
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, PDU, Tassie Dan, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224167 by DanB80
Replied by DanB80 on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Thanks for the comments, wasn't expecting that many already.

I do like the idea of the original engine. Downsides though are I expect it's going to need a significant investment of time and dollars to get it back going and expect parts will be a challenge. I do want the truck to be a frequent if not daily use vehicle. Don't need it to be fast but do want it to be comfortable. No expectation of hitting the highway at 100ks plus. 90km/h at decent revs is probably the target if I can get away with it without altering the suspension and brakes.

No decisions made yet. Maybe a bigger side valve like suggested by Brocky45 but expect that would still need to be engineered. Did look into the engineering and note that getting any mods means a number of additional mandatory mods (seat belts, collapsable steering column, dual hyd brake system etc.) These all make sense from a safety view but agree they further detract from the heritage.

Mammoth, agree getting on the road before making decisions could be the way to go. I guess first steps is to tear down and get a better feel for what it'd take to get the side value and box going. This isn't too much of a plunge. Enjoyed old machinery for years, I keep what's left of a F6OL blitz (has an IH engine) going which I use around a property for snigging logs and some other old engines/pumps etc.

Tassie Dan, love the 359, might take some inspiration from your timber tray. I like the simplicity of it and looks great.

Dave_64, appreciate the balanced advice, sounds like its come from a fair bit of experience. I don't have heaps of free time so expecting this one to be a long term project. Does lend itself to mammoths words of get it on the road before making mods. Probably should set a budget but not sure I want to face that one

I'll post some more pics once I get it cleaned up and start pulling it apart.

Dan B
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 7 months ago #224173 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
I've never heard of a Detroit built FARGO.

FARGO's were built in Canada to get the benefit of cheaper import costs into Commonwealth affiliated Countries.

Whilst most of it would have been made in Detroit and shipped to Canada before assembly it should be a Canadian vehicle.

I'd go with the latter sidevalve engine and don't tell anyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis, Brocky45, DanB80

Time to create page: 0.586 seconds