Skip to main content

1938 Fargo FG3-59

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224207 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
As has been mentioned here before many prewar trucks came here with the US military at the start of WW2....these models were quickly made obsolete by the standardized models ,and were disposed of to the likes of councils and military contractors for war works........edit...the motor will likely be a 201/218/237......there are a number of Dodge motors ,varying by 1/16 in the bore ..smallest was 201 ,largest was 251........the common one was the so called Burma Dodge in the 2 1/2 ton truck,the T112 -L.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, DanB80

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224232 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Some army gear used these motors, like bitumen sprayers fitted
to the Mark 5 AACO trucks. Strong and reliable.
Chrysler car club might be a source for information, quite a following.
Running properly you will have good power and smooth operation.
In the 1950's they could stay with the side valve Fords.
Fuel use will be high, but can buy a lot of petrol with the savings
on transplant costs. Just a point of view. Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, 180wannabe, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224239 by Tassie Dan
Replied by Tassie Dan on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Thank you sir, feel free to copy what ever you like, it’s simple cos I am not very good at building things ha ha. I do understand your thinking about what path you may take drive train wise, as I often day dream about all the stuff I could do to mine as I would like just another 5 to 10ks as mine feels to be working hard enough at 75kmph and as I live in a small town it adds 50% more time to get to the city. But when it all comes down to it I think I want to keep the engine alone, just the same as the paint, she has a few story’s to tell and I think that’s the best thing about old trucks, they all have story’s and every so single one is different as they have all had changes made to suit their roles. It gives us a chance to put our own twist on their story’s without losing their past and some times you can’t get that when building cars. I have learnt getting parts can be slow and frustrating and the rego will make your life hard too but it is worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224253 by JOHN.K.
The question is what you want to do......drive and preserve a part of the past ,with all the sounds and smells ......or be one of the rego cheats who have a classic vehicle with a new V8 drivetrain and electrics ,solely to get the cheap club rego and no yearly inspections.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224259 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59

The question is what you want to do......drive and preserve a part of the past ,with all the sounds and smells ......or be one of the rego cheats who have a classic vehicle with a new V8 drivetrain and electrics ,solely to get the cheap club rego and no yearly inspections.

I think most people want a bit of both

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 7 months ago #224260 by DanB80
Replied by DanB80 on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Hi all, thanks for the great info again really appreciate the comments. Some really interesting info on the sidevalves and their uses. Seems they had a pretty broad and long history. Haven't seen many around for sale, hope there's still plenty out there that haven't made their way to the scrapyard.

Pierre, agree it would be great to know how many came out here around that period. John K, would I be right to assume that the ones that came out with the US military would have been badged dodge rather than Fargo? Does anyone know if the ADF used Fargo trucks prior to 1940? The photo below is of a 1940 model from the Army History Unit.

Does anyone know about the diffs on these as shown in the first post and standard tyre size?

Unfortunately the truck isn't at my house and due to COVID lockdown in SQ QLD i can't get to it this weekend. Hopefully won't be long before I can get stuck into the teardown and post some progress pics.

Dan B
1942 F60L Blitz (IH engine transplant) forestry truck
1938 Fargo FG3-59 project for road use
Attachments:

More
2 years 7 months ago #224261 by DanB80
Replied by DanB80 on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Plan is full rego as I want to use it. No annual inspections in QLD anyway. the 318 was a cheap more modern dodge option for an engine that would be practical for frequent on todays roads with other drivers. Not leaning that way anyway as discussed. Definitely not a fan of electronics.

Dan B
1942 F60L Blitz (IH engine transplant) forestry truck
1938 Fargo FG3-59 project for road use

More
2 years 7 months ago #224264 by JOHN.K.
US military trucks never had any names on them beyond an ID....Id see what motor you have first.....its quite likely a 237 ,as there was lots of surplus new motors about for many years,and no one repaired motors when a new one was a lot cheaper.............others will correct me if Im wrong,but I think the 237 was the motor from the WW2 "Power Wagon",examples can be seen in the "Back to the Track" pictures .....there are thousands of the WW2 4x4s around restored.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224290 by JOHN.K.
Before making these prewar trucks go faster ,consider the brakes arent very effective at 30mph,let alone 70mph.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, Tassie Dan, DanB80

More
2 years 7 months ago #224307 by 14B-Beaver
Replied by 14B-Beaver on topic 1938 Fargo FG3-59
Your truck would have been rated a 3 tonner in Australia. I notice it is fitted with jockey springs. Probably had a 12 foot tray. Tyres would have been 32x6 which later became 7.00x20. The equivalent Dodge of 1937 had a 218 cubic inch 75 HP motor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, DanB80

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds