Skip to main content

Ansett's Deutz

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #226066 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Ansett's Deutz
My old man used to call them Hitlers revenge......but he called VWs the same thing.....and he used to go on at length about how the german tanks were all air cooled and were the only ones could stand up to the desert....all nonsense ,of course ,the only air cooled tanks were the US made Stuarts(after he came back ,Shermans were also air cooled) .....but pre internet ,most information was nonsense..what people didnt know ,they made up.............All the Deutz truck motors had a very thick steel ring for a head gasket,and when it blew,there was a very loud chuffing noise and the motor coated in oil........You could find out which head had blown by sticking a sheet of white cardboard between the cylinders........the blown one would coat the white paper in black soot and oil.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, overlander, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226122 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Ansett's Deutz

Yeah, theyr'e the ones I remember.
What were they called ? Saturn?
Whats the bogie drive hiding behind? Can't quite make it out, I thought at first it was a Commer?
NMP Cab over Deutz.
Dave_64
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, overlander, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226152 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Ansett's Deutz
When still doing forklift tyres when living in Shitme, I used to go to IPEC once a month. Service manager showed me some tacograph cards from a pair of plain white trucks with LES Transport only painted on the fuel tank. 'The lines on the tachograph card were all over the place and off the chart when it came to speed. They did Shitme - Melbourne each night and quickly.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds