Skip to main content

Tri-axle trailers with singles on front axle

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226382 by Mrsmackpaul
This must of been one of the very early tri axle trailers with only single tyres on the front axle, not many like this until duels went all the way around

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226432 by PaulFH
Used to see tandem axle semi tippers with spares mounted upright
in front of the axle group. looked twice at first, but that's how they
were done. Just an alternative idea maybe. Paul.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226448 by Mrsmackpaul
I am 1000% sure that the very first tri axle trailers only had single wheels on the lead axle as shown in the last two tipper photos
They must of only been made this way for a very short period of time before becoming duals all around

75 - 76 maybe, with time and research I could probably narrow this right down even closer

Some even had a small spread between the lead axle and the close coupled bogies

There were many variations at the start until it settled down to 3 common spreads and configurations

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226463 by PaulFH
Think you're correct Paul. Closer look reveals all 3 rows under the guard.
Did not realize they were built this way. Saw the odd single axle trailer
fitted with a single tyred axle in front of the original duals. probably to
overcome running heavy on the trailer axle back in the day.
The semi tippers with spares mounted upright in front of the axle group
always looked a bit strange to me, but suppose that was practical.
paul.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226685 by Mrsmackpaul
These just appeared on Facelessbook, tri axle trailers with single tyred lead axle like I mentioned the other day

So very early 70's foe this style tri

Photo credit to Martin McCourt and Atlantic Ron for their pictures from Facelessbook

From Martin McCourt "Cartting rock into botany bay for container terminal around 1970/71trucks were Mack power pups with twin sticks."

Paul

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226693 by PaulFH
Thanks Mrsmackpaul, quite a transitional axle group which I had not noticed.
Saw the arrangement in a FB photo Monday, on a flat top trailer too. Paul.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226694 by wee-allis
The first of this system not only had just a single wheel, but had no brakes fitted to that axle either. I remember LIndsays, in the early to mid 70s had a few of them, but soon fitted them up with duals and brakes. One major problem was, get a flat on a single wheel and before you could do anything about it, you have lost a tyre. I think the no brakes issue was settled by the Government Regs at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226697 by Mrsmackpaul
I only recall seeing this style of axle set up on tippers, I guess that shows just how easily we all forget things
I feel these would of been converted to duals all around very quickly as Im guessing that the lead axle is the same width as the other two axles

On a completely unrelated note, in my collection of McGrath axles I have two from a 23 foot dog trailer that was a 1970 model, anyway the way I ended up with the axles was that they had been replaced in recent years, at a guess 2015 ish or there abouts
Because the dolltend of the axles had no brakes when new

The owner was selling the trailer and in the add it had new axles fitted and I made enquiries about the old axles and their were abouts and thats w hen I learnt this

The front axle has no mountings for brake shoes or backing plates and the spiders have no holes for drums
This axle had duals fitted, anyway as I said completely unrelated almost

Well I was gunna add a photo but the forum says that they are forbidden, tried resizing, still forbidden

So if you all close your eyes real tight and imagine a McGrath axle laying on the dirt in a paddock that will have to do :woohoo: :woohoo: :P :P

Maybe the link above might work, other than that, just stick with plan 'A' and imagine the axle

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226698 by Mrsmackpaul
Looks like the link worked

Paul

More
2 years 6 months ago #226701 by xspanrman
Heggie's Transport had 6 tipping coal trailers (3 Alcan and 3 Highgate) in the early 70's with a lift up single tyre axle. To lift the axle 2 air bags pushed a frame forward which tightened 2 wire ropes that ran over pulleys and was secured to the axle. 2 different airbags were used to push the axle down. A later coal trailer had a leaf spring to lift the axle and air bags to push the axle down. I think this type of lift up axle was manufactured by Rubery Owen. When legislation changed the lift up axles were removed.

The R and H Kenworth photo by Vaughn Mills .
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds