Skip to main content

Tri-axle trailers with singles on front axle

More
2 years 5 months ago #226702 by Mrsmackpaul
looks like the spider on the flat top is a normal spider with a spacer on the outside ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226705 by hayseed
My Memories of those single tyre Silly wheel pusher Axles, Is..
In the early 70's when Triaxle trailers were allowed People started fitting them to existing Trailers to get the Extra Weight. .By the Late 70's The Govt mandated they had use Load sharing Suspension(As well as Brakes), Because as Xspannerman said a lot of them had Airbags & blokes could Manipulate the old split weigh Weighbridges with them..

But Don't mind being Corrected..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #226706 by jeffo
Hard to imagine now Paul, but in the 60's and early 70's the dolly steer axle wasn't permitted brakes.
Not sure if that applied to tandem dollies but was certainly the case with single axle jobs which were pretty common back then.
I'm still amazed when thinking back to the petrol KL Bedfords of Luya Julius with 1-sugar bin on the truck and towing a short dog with 2-sugar bins. Only brakes on the whole show were the pathetic vacuum/hydraulics on the 7t Bedford and 7" vacuum mechanical on the rear axle of the dog.
28 ton gross too.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226712 by PaulFH
Thanks XSPANRMAN, that's the one I saw on FB, fitted to a flat top trailer.
Think it was an ongoing push to get more payload within the regulations of the
day, at minimum cost. Tried on prime movers and trailers in differing ways.
Quite a number of bogie trailers extended and converted to tri-axles late 1970's.
Better set up, as load share suspension and brakes. Just from memory, Paul.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226718 by Mrsmackpaul

My Memories of those single tyre Silly wheel pusher Axles, Is..
In the early 70's when Triaxle trailers were allowed People started fitting them to existing Trailers to get the Extra Weight. .By the Late 70's The Govt mandated they had use Load sharing Suspension(As well as Brakes), Because as Xspannerman said a lot of them had Airbags & blokes could Manipulate the old split weigh Weighbridges with them..

But Don't mind being Corrected..

Seed I dont think the tippers shown were ever bogies as the mud guard is full length and it looks to me like these were built this way

Either way it is all very interesting to me and amazing how much of this stuff we have forgotten already

Jeffo, I cn honestly say I have never seen a single axle dolly with out brakes, mind you I wouldn't of worried about looking unless I had a reason to

Paul

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226720 by Gryphon
Hi,

is this another one?

It was posted up in Overlanders Old Photos a day or so after the picture that started this thread, www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/16820-ove...tos?start=870#226433

Terry
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Gryphon.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226721 by hayseed

Hard to imagine now Paul, but in the 60's and early 70's the dolly steer axle wasn't permitted brakes.
Not sure if that applied to tandem dollies but was certainly the case with single axle jobs which were pretty common back then.
I'm still amazed when thinking back to the petrol KL Bedfords of Luya Julius with 1-sugar bin on the truck and towing a short dog with 2-sugar bins. Only brakes on the whole show were the pathetic vacuum/hydraulics on the 7t Bedford and 7" vacuum mechanical on the rear axle of the dog.
28 ton gross too.

Jeffo, Dad had a Similar Setup.
Only His was an Inter AB160 tipper towing a 16foot Dog Trailer Carting Grain. Trailer had Vacuum over Hydraulic Brakes on the back axle only. No Brakes on the Dolly, From memory the axle in the Dolly was the back axle out of an Old Blitz with axles & centre removed. we were still using it up until the mid 80's..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247118 by Mrsmackpaul
I come across photos on social media every so often of these unusual axle setups
Can never find this thread/topic, at 4 am and nothing better to do with my life I eventually found it ha ha ha

Not my photo and not real sure who's it is but guessing person mentioned in the blurb attached

Coal truck, Camden.
Brown double wheeled semi-trailer used for carting coal to the rail head. Owned by Barry Doust. Not photographed in Camden, perhaps at Oakdale.
Photo c. 1970, contributed by Mrs Jean Doust.
From Camden Images Past and Present.
© Camden Historical Society.

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, xspanrman

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247137 by Brocky45
The set up shown in that last picture is similar to what we have up here in the States with a single tire on the third axle. A lot of our third axles were to beat the "Bridge Law" .. I was never involved in that type of work, but apparently the third axle allowed a larger gross weight on a shorter trailer..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247146 by JOHN.K.
The ones I fitted ,there were air bags to apply weight to the axle ,and generally inverted springs to lift it off the road ........these setups used to rip tyres to shreds,so you only used busted cases not fit for retread......The wheels had to be in contact with the road ,as the scalies would take pictures before stopping the truck.....So there had to be some load on the axle .
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, asw120

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds