Skip to main content

V configuration v straight?

More
2 years 4 months ago #227758 by V8Ian
How did the V configured Detriot 53 and 71 engines compare to their in line counterparts?
I don't believe there was ever a 6/8-92, only 6/8V-92.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #227760 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic V configuration v straight?
there were only 3 and 4 inline 53s,and only comparison would be a 6/71 and 6v71.......think the v motr was a bit lighter and certainly more compact.......far as I know there are no inline 92s,not even a 4 .
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, V8Ian

More
2 years 4 months ago #227780 by overlander
Greetings. The 53 series Detroits' compared well with other manufacturers of similar Hp on the power to weight ratio plus you could just about stuff the suckers in anywhere- didn't make them very easy to service in some installation's but the vehicle or plant manufacturer didn't give much concern to that. Plus you could spec which side of the block you preferred the blower and exhaust manifold, if you wanted left hand or right hand rotation so they were very adaptable with the added bonus of scaring away any birds in close proximity. And they were painted Alpine Green and a variety of other colors to suit the applications they were required for. And yes John, the 92 series was only manufactured in the V series. When the 92 engines were released on the American market we got to see promo videos of a 92 powered truck up against another engine marque [probably Cummins as it was in 1974 that we were shown these videos] - bit of a brag of how well they compared with similar Hp engines and of course we were shown that the 8v92 was better on fuel than the engine it was being compared against [Yeah right]. But they were good promo videos and they must have made an impression on me as in 1974 I was a first year apprentice at Detco. And they sound good too. But yeah- power to weight ratio is where the engines trumped other manufacturers of similar horsepower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP, PaulFH, R.Buron, V8Ian, xspanrman

More
2 years 4 months ago #227786 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic V configuration v straight?
My interest is in how 6-71s compared to 6V71. Was the power, torque and economy the same? Was one more reliable or maintenance demanding than the other?

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #227797 by JOHN.K.
If you get a 6v71 ,always check the blower drive shaft......the fine spline used to fret away,and the blower stop turning...........the latest motors had a coarser spline one end ,and dont seem to fail........All the Denning coaches had a small square door under the rear seat to access the blower drive from inside ........was about a 10 minute job.......if the spline in the drive ends were OK............the 92s are a better motor and fuel efficient....a silver 6v92TA has great fuel economy,matching Scanias and Volvos .......the 53s and 71 had very poor fuel economy......the 53s used as much fuel as a petrol engine.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, V8Ian

More
2 years 4 months ago #227799 by Mrsmackpaul
Pretty sure if you read the manuals they had same output if the same injectors etc were used

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
2 years 4 months ago #227802 by JOHN.K.
With the N65 or N70 injectors things were pretty simple.....later motors have incredible complication of injectors and timing to meet pollution regs...
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
2 years 4 months ago #227862 by overlander
John- there was a mob here in Adelaide that used the 8v92 as an engine/air compressor combo as a booster for mining applications- effectively half the engine was a running 4-92 and the other bank was 4 air compressor cylinders. So yeah, an inline 92 of some sorts. I think the mob was called Air-research and I'm pretty sure they have moved interstate. They used to bring in container loads of 92's from the good 'ol USA as they were becoming hard to source for the orders they needed to fill. Also, my field service data book reckons on in line 6-71 and a 6v71 had the same Hp. As far as longevity is concerned it would wholly depend on the operator and application. Pretty much the same I'd say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, V8Ian

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #227863 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic V configuration v straight?
Overlander

That half and half GM compressor reminds me of the super common Compair VW compressor (Two cylinders driving and two pumping). Back in the 70's and 80's there would not be a decent worksite without one of those neat little Compair VW trailer compressors.

Air-Research has been into aviation and industrial technology for 75 years. They are a huge operation. The general public would know Garret-AiResearch for their automotive turbo chargers and superchargers. They build turbo-prop engines in a big way, particularly military stuff.

Garrett AiResearch was a manufacturer of turboprop engines and turbochargers, and a pioneer in numerous aerospace technologies. It was previously known as Aircraft Tool and Supply Company, Garrett Supply Company, AiResearch Manufacturing Company, or simply AiResearch. In 1964, Garrett AiResearch merged with Signal Oil & Gas to form a company renamed in 1968 to Signal Companies, which in 1985 merged with Allied Corp. into AlliedSignal. In 1999 AlliedSignal acquired Honeywell and adopted the Honeywell name.[1][2][3]
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #227869 by JOHN.K.
The weights are variable too....the average vehicle 6v71 has a #2 SAE housing,14" twin plate clutch flywheel,and a light pressed tin sump.........the one I have in bits has a heavy industrial #1 SAE housing,heavy industrial flywheel and drive ring,and had a very heavy cast iron deep sump.......weighed at least 50kg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds