Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Unusual Commer 25 Jan 2022 11:44 #231088

• Lang
  • Lang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6214
I was going through my photos and in an unrelated file found this.

I bought it from a dealer in Echuca in 1982 to work in my Marine Construction operation in Qld. Perkins powered. Was a very handy machine. I believe it originally belonged to Shell as a local fuel tanker. 1941 Chevrolet 1 1/2 tonner on the back.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lang.

Unusual Commer 25 Jan 2022 12:03 #231089

• Dave_64
  • Thank you received: 661
Commonwealth Dept of Supply had a few of those twin steer, Perkins powered single drives, often seen pulling a 4 wheel dog.
Pretty ordinary as a rigid, let alone hanging a trailer on the back.
During the same era they had Leyland P/M's and the big Scammell Contractor with the side loading float, so around 1970-1975.
Drivers never worried about how slow they were--all on wages and overtime!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

Unusual Commer 25 Jan 2022 12:15 #231091

• PaulFH
  • Thank you received: 2157
Welsh bloke told me they were a "Chinese Six".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Unusual Commer 25 Jan 2022 16:07 #231103

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 889
PaulFH Yes the twin-steer, single drive trucks were (are?) known in Britain as a Chinese Six, because the first trucks with that configuration was an order for Hong Kong (or was it China?)
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Unusual Commer 25 Jan 2022 21:42 #231122

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 447
Not sure about that story Morris, however I can be sure there are many versions.
The first 4 axle rigid was brought to market by Atkinson in 1933 to deal with newly introduced British weight regulations and Leyland was only a year behind with their "Octopus", the name brilliantly fitting into their animal series of model names. Leyland introduced the Steer around 1937 and again aimed at British regulations. Someone must have had lots of fun with the name as the innocent saw the obvious relation between an animal and steer wheels, but the farmers would have been thinking of a bull (or in this case an Octopus)with bits missing!

Last edit: by mammoth.

Unusual Commer 26 Jan 2022 08:06 #231142

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 889

Not sure about that story Morris, however I can be sure there are many versions.
The first 4 axle rigid was brought to market by Atkinson in 1933 to deal with newly introduced British weight regulations and Leyland was only a year behind with their "Octopus", the name brilliantly fitting into their animal series of model names. Leyland introduced the Steer around 1937 and again aimed at British regulations. Someone must have had lots of fun with the name as the innocent saw the obvious relation between an animal and steer wheels, but the farmers would have been thinking of a bull (or in this case an Octopus)with bits missing!

I do not know anything about different wheel arrangements or animal names for trucks. All I know is what I said about the "Chinese Six." Morris.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Unusual Commer 26 Jan 2022 21:40 #231180

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 553
Always though twin steer single drive was called a Chinese six.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Unusual Commer 27 Jan 2022 07:59 #231190

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 447
I was just relating how a single manufacturer marketed their products and had some fun along the way. The 'Chinese six" name came along somewhere in history and I am thinking post war, long after that configuration was first introduced, and to explain something strange or foreign.

Unusual Commer 27 Jan 2022 12:31 #231210

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1096
The most unusual of all the twinsteers would be the Bedford busses of the 70s,where overweight on the front axle was cured by fitting a second steer axle ..........funny thing ,is coaches like Dennings are always overweight on the front ,and seem to get away with it.

Unusual Commer 27 Jan 2022 13:57 #231214

• V8Ian
  • Thank you received: 373

The most unusual of all the twinsteers would be the Bedford busses of the 70s,where overweight on the front axle was cured by fitting a second steer axle ..........funny thing ,is coaches like Dennings are always overweight on the front ,and seem to get away with it.

That was the VAL, on 16" tyres. The models on heavier capacity 20" tyres had no issues.
I have a three axle GBW (Denning by another name), that has no overweight issues.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558