Skip to main content

Another Nothing New Under the Sun

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #236188 by Lang
Gas-electric hybrid bus made by the Versare Company. Because of the distance between the axles, and the narrowness characteristic to most streets in that era, the driver was unable to turn corners easily—except on the Atwater Avenue route. In 1934, seven years after this photo was taken, the Atwater Avenue Monster broke in half.

But not the first. I found this but no idea of what, where and when. Possibly European. The bloke on the footpath looks like he has an Austrian or German hat.

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Brocky45

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #236194 by Morris
Hello Lang,
Does Gas-electric mean petrol-electric or gas (gasolene) or gas (propane mixture)?

Regarding the Packard self parking car I often wonder why Americans pronounce it "Pakrd" also why they pronounce the cars of William Lyons "Jagwar" while the rest of the world call them "Jaguar." How do they pronounce the name of the big African cat. Do they say Jagwar or Jaguar?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #236196 by Lang
Morris

I would think it is petrol-electric just like the latest 2022 Hybrids.

As for pronunciation I think the Yanks should wake up to themselves and pronounce words proper like us Ostrayans. They are as bad as NSW people saying Newcarsl instead of the correct Newcassl. The Zeebras would have some comment on the Giraffs and Jagwars.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #236197 by Lang
Now this unknown operation is really interesting. They were far ahead of their time.

The Versare Story

www.coachbuilt.com/bui/v/versare/versare.htm

From the above article. This is their setup, petrol engine providing power for individual electric motors.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 9 months ago #237516 by wee-allis
This is a page from the book ROVER MEMORIES and it describes the engine brake in the 1907-9 Rover 16 - 20 hp car.Basically a mechanical "Jake" brake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds