Skip to main content

Big Companies we don't talk about.

More
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #237886 by Zuffen
I have a book (around 38 years old) that lists almost 4,000 different brand s of Motor Vehicle sold in the last 130 years.

Tucks are no doubt the same with maybe 1,000 brands.

Where are they now?
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Zuffen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238010 by prodrive
And talking of companies that are no longer with us, whatever happened to Brambles? And why was Brambles Manford different to just Brambles? or were they the same?
Brambles reminds me of an old forum member called Greenie, he worked for Brambles for years I believe, he wrote a lot of bloody ripper stories about just what they did and didn't do, and put them up here on the forum. they were so good I used to send them to my mum, and even she loved them.
Wonder if he or his stories are still around- anyone know?
Cheers
Rich

For chat about Greenie and Chocs and others from the past see here, www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/20542-the...ver-the-years#238030
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238067 by oldb
I second your comments on Greenie and Chocs, Both good yarn tellers.

Frank Manford was a highly regarded transport company in Western Australia, They sold to Brambles and continued as Brambles Manford for years. Some of the Manford family continued with the company in management positions. There were about 20 branches in WA. I worked in the Fremantle depot for quite a few years - we did wharf, freezer, chiller and general cartage. There was about 120 drivers, both company and subbies. Distances were generally day trips, but they could be very long days……
When you went bush you were given a “Letter of Authority” to purchase fuel, oils , food, or whatever was needed for your journey. These Letters were accepted at virtually any business in WA , and were always paid on the receipt of the invoice from the supplier.
How many companies are trusted like that today?

Cheers from Neil
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago #238100 by Steve L
Brambles we’re tied up with Kennelly’s in the very late 60s ( Kennelly’s now there’s a company not many would have heard of ) in Bougainville. I was in Bougainville with Kennelly’s in their workshop 67 - 69, while I was there it was only Kennelly’s and I didn’t realise Brambles involvement until equipment started returning to Adelaide early 70s with Brambles Kennelly’s signage on the door. I believe Honest John still had full ownership in Australia until his demise in 73-74. Fairly sure the government shut him down, I then purchased my first Mack directly off him. Fortunately myself and a few others got the deal of a lifetime, he told me to pick a truck and trailer, no deposit and monthly payments direct to him, being in the workshop at the time I knew which units to select. 237 6 speed maxidyne and fruehauf trailer.

Kennelly (Honest John) Was big pre 70s with depots in all states, I’m surprised how I can’t find anything related even on this forum.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, overlander, PaulFH

More
1 year 7 months ago #238689 by Hi Beam
Kennelly's started to run into North Queensland in the late 60's early seventies. Remembered as Kennelly's cowboys by those of us who had to share the (narrow) roads with them. Busted assed gear and loud mouthed drivers. Best forgotten in NQ anyway.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #238690 by Lang
This is really interesting. The URAL (ZIS) truck history.

Here is the truck website.
uralaz.ru/en/company/history/

The factory is in Miass and although about the size of Toowoomba employs 105,000 people In the same town is the factory that builds the Russian Submarine cruise missiles.

The URAL mountains, actually fairly low, form the border between Europe and Asia in Russia.

The Russians call everything East of this line Siberia which comprises 3/4 of the entire area of Russia. Not all snow and wilderness but many beautiful and highly industrialised cities.

Here is a shot of Bev on one of our trips in the URALS. One leg in Europe and the other in Asia.

Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, PaulFH, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds