Skip to main content

Some more Commers..............sorry

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #73018 by Cunning Stunt
A few that Liz sent to me from the RTHOF. She knows how to excite me ::)

The last one is a load of the first shipment of Encyclopaedia Britannica. Trasport company is Mercury Transport from St Peters......

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Cunning Stunt.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73019 by Rusty Engines
Encyclopaedia Britannica
How times have changed as what is on the truck will now fit into your computer, plus some
Ian

More
12 years 2 months ago #73020 by ronhorse

Like you cunning, I have a soft spot for the old Commers, they were a good truck in their day, glad you put them on the forum.
Adding a couple more, these are old mates leaving Alice Springs going South In Gene Gregory's home made Inter KS6 (pretty obvious!) they got to Adelaide and Ben Powell bought a Commer semi , they loaded the Inter on the semi and this pic is on their way to Perth to find work for their trucks, Gene on the left and Ben on the right.

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
12 years 2 months ago #73021 by ronhorse

I was in Barmera visiting my Mum when Syd Fletcher got the contract to cart hogsheads of wine, 3 to a ton, handle very carefully! From the Berri distillery to Hay in NSW, He bought 2 new Commer semi's, I drove one and Syd's brother Brian drove the other, they the cheapest, 4 speed, single speed diff, all flat country so all that was needed, they had the old Humber snipe engine, lazy 6, chrome bore they skited! The Hay plains was clay at that time so if it rained it was all over, I remember poking along about 20 mph on the crown of the road, looking out the side window the trailer at right angles with the prime mover sliding along neat as you like!

More
12 years 2 months ago #73022 by ronhorse

Another tray commer I used to cart cornflakes from Hay to Adelaide, had a sorry end. bitch to cart, hard to keep the load straight.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73023 by ronhorse

Me left and Ben Powell with 2 of his prime movers, he spent his life on the road and well known, super guy, this around '88

More
12 years 2 months ago #73024 by ronhorse

Later Ben ran this Mack R700 to Darwin, this at Prouse Gap North of Alice.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73025 by bigcam
Probobly not quite the right spot for these, seeing as tecknically it's not a Commer, and the pics are new not old, anyway, these should get Cunning interest. My mate's D2F, registered it last week, he took me for a quick run in it today.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73026 by bparo
I think I may have seen one of these old jiggers in the distance today,

Pulled out of the drive and saw what appeared to be one of these on the Mitiamo Road at full noise heading towards the Northern Highway with a single axle stock crate in tow.

By the time we got the 1.2km up the dirt road and turned right to head to the highway we saw him turn right into the Strathallen Rd. By the time we got there he was out of sight.

Now from that distance the cab looked to be a similar shape (from side on). It definately wasn't modern as even MrsP commented the shape was too rounded for a modern truck.

Of course it may have been something else that shared a similar cab but the single axle trailer made me think it must be a farmers as modern transporter's wouldn't use anything that small

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds