Skip to main content

robinsons illawarra transport

More
11 years 11 months ago #79284 by 352rhd
robbo's from wollongong had a subbie with a early 70's k100.real tuff looking thing with super single steers & no paint on front of cab,but the rest was in robbo's colours.pre mayne nik's.ive got a photo but cant upload it for some reason.anyway it was rumored to have a 3408 in it.does anyone remember the truck?does anyone know where it is now?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #79285 by
Replied by on topic Re: robinsons illawarra transport
That KW used to park in Mt Keria Rd it had a natural 8V92. I think it went up north to pull roadtrains. I new the previous owner.

More
11 years 7 months ago #79286 by paddington
The bloke that owned it looked tuffer than the truck, remember it well try harder to upload the photoe, part of the Hume's history.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #79287 by xspanrman
Don Robinson owned R.I.T.S. but also traded previuosly under the name of City and Country Road Freight. I recall 2 yellow B61's 6x4's on flat top work before being painted R.I.T.S.' s colors and then hooked up to low lowders and carting coils around Pt Kembla. CCRF also had tankers working for AMOCO in Sydney. All single drive's and bogey tankers. B61 driven by Neil Lickerman. Leyland Beaver driven by Bede Gallagher and an AEC by Bill Kimbrey. An AEC Monarch (ex R.J. Young, Wollongong AMOCO agent) was sent to AMOCO in Melbourne for a while before coming back to Don's Fairy Meadow depot. The last I heard of Don was that he had moved to Sutton Forest.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by xspanrman.

More
6 years 9 months ago #183782 by xspanrman
City and Country Road Freight's AEC. Originally owned by R.J. Young the Wollongong Agent and driven from new by my brother Bob.

A couple of photos of 1418 Mercedes Benz's taken after the name to Robinson's Illawarra Transport Services at the Fairy Meadow yard about 1970.

Their Mercedes Benz at Lysaught's Chullora waiting to be unloaded.
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #183783 by xspanrman
About 1972. Robinson's ex military Diamond T at the new yard at Port Kembla. In the background are 2 of their B61 Macks with floats that carted steel coils from BHP to the warehouse at the rear of photo. I think the Diamond T was used to shunt rail wagons around on site. The yard is now owned by Murrell Freightlines.

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #183790 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic robinsons illawarra transport
One thing stands out in all these photos and that is what pig sties transport depots were back in the day. Heaps of old pallets and assorted rubbish piled along fence lines and great potholes (usually full of water in Melbourne) in the yard. The forks were always losing loads as they staggered through the off-road racing course to get to the trucks. Always a few derelict trucks and trailers down the back.

We certainly have come a long way, particularly when you compare our highways to the rubbish tips they once were. Still not perfect but a vast improvement.

Lang

More
6 years 4 months ago #188996 by xspanrman
Glover Transport had a few of their trucks painted up in Robinson's colors.
Photos by Mark Glover
Atkinson powered by 6.71 GM at Pt Kembla yard

Atkinson in Robinson's colors

Kenworth with 8v 71 GM engine

Lined up waiting to be loaded at Pt Kembla. Kenworth with roof mounted air intakes was previously owned by McFies and had a V12 GM engine
Attachments:

More
6 years 4 months ago #189001 by hayseed
Lined up waiting to be loaded at Pt Kembla. Kenworth with roof mounted air intakes was previously owned by McFies and had a V12 GM engine

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/7401

This pic will flush the rivet Counters out Ray... :dry:

I thought the V12s had twin Stacks up between the Air intakes....BISTBC

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189004 by werkhorse
McFies ??? or Simon ???

Those are Simon colours from back in the day ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by werkhorse.

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds