Skip to main content

First Kenworths "down under"

• Topic Author
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 6 days ago #80118 by
Replied by on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"
notice the clutch pedal on LHD is to the extreme left and when ''converted'' to RHD problems start to manifest themselves and became insuperable when the 8V71 was installed as the longer block and associated exhaust manifold ran smack into the clutch pivot arm mounted inboard of the RH chassis rail...hence the need for the pendulum style clutch arrangement

ps .. i think the SFDD4640 rockwells were 65000 LB rated...idstbc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
12 years 1 week ago #80119 by
You're correct about the SFDDs Dectective.I have 2 excuses for my mistake,1- the rear axle was rated at 56,000lb on the build sheet,2-it was a "typo" switching the 5 & 6 around.I'll let you know which excuse I'll choose.LOL
Also you're input in the clutch pedal makes alot of sense.I think developing a RHD S-model must of put the Kenworth engineers into over-drive... as there were many notable differences with the first seven (6V71) compared with the others (6V71 & 8V71).
As you can see in this photo (#76638) I've set the clutch pedal up on the chassis exactly where it was,never gave any thought about the exhaust manifold.But its got to be right....
Cheers James.

More
12 years 1 week ago #80120 by greenie
A couple of questions about the KW 548 and the KW "S" model's.

Did the 548, use the same cabin as the "S" model ?

If it didn't, then what cabin did the 548 use ?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Topic Author
12 years 1 week ago #80121 by

A couple of questions about the KW 548 and the KW "S" model's.

Did the 548, use the same cabin as the "S" model ?

If it didn't, then what cabin did the 548 use ?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

I'm glad you asked about the cab Greenie... The 548 had the same style cab as the S-models (narrow pre-W model cab),but there was a major difference... The 548 had a heavy duty severe service roof,you can see the squareness in the shape as it was made of heavy steel plate.
Unfortunately this was the only cab I know of that came into Australia and it was replaced with a W-model cab later in its life and was told the original cab went to scrap.
So this is where we need some help from our NZ members here... I know these narrow pre-1965 cabs with a heavy duty roof were around in NZ in the logging industry.If any-one knows of one sitting around some-where please let me know... jimcremona@yahoo.com.au
Cheers James.

• Topic Author
12 years 1 week ago #80122 by
This is one still earning its keep in NZ. Cheers James.

• Topic Author
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #80123 by
g'day jimmy .. thats a real nice study of the 548 in her early days and a good look also at the double cleated schuler front axle

the development of the 8V71 S model must have also commenced almost at the outset of RHD production considering the first two 8V's for ansett came straight after initial seven 6V's for cameron and blomfield (ch/no's 76639 and 76640) ...cheers

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 6 days ago #80124 by Swishy

JotS
M80

RE: Can you figure out the gear lever in this photo

Almost Bhind sleep ifn it had one

LOL

Jist Like thiz n

looks like lotsa tennis elbo or u'd nok the back windo out
when U went to grab sum gears
LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #80125 by
Yes Swishy that is a better angle of the gear lever,you'll find it would have a dog leg (kink not the fury type) in it to angle it back to the transmission.
Regarding the Ansett single drives Detective.Interesting they had consecitive chassis numbers to the first 7 S-models but arrived 6 months later and were 8V71.Also #76639 came in primer only and #76640 was painted in Ansett colours at the factory.Maybe Ansett only ordered one and decided to take delivery of both.
I'm guessing this is #76639 as it seems to have a black Chassis... Cheers James.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 6 days ago #80126 by Swishy

Guys
FWIW
Ansett had the V8-71 derated for a good life of motor
coz when they traded m in they varied from 650- 850 thousand miles on the clock
they were able to get good milage outa donks coz they very rarely got cold
Truck in... Drop Trailer... fuel up.. hook up nuther trailer...fresh driver n away they go
the V8-71 for memory were max n out @ 1950 rpm with small shootn irons n only deliverin 265HP
we opend them up to 2100rpm n bigger injectors to 318hp
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #80127 by
...in the above picture, notice the rubber bonnet blocks are on the firewall cowl along with the full ''elephant ear'' air intake pipe shroud...but as seen on a later cameron S model and the liquid cartage S922, the shroud is a cut down ...

with all regard and respect, these little tweaks added up to more money...and these jiggers were seriously expensive no matter which way you look at it in 1962, and ed cameron, with his first bunch of imports had to do some serious number crunching to make it all happen...

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds