Skip to main content

First Kenworths "down under"

• Topic Author
12 years 14 hours ago - 12 years 14 hours ago #80138 by
Replied by on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"

This must be the narrow grill version then.

That one is Bill Flynn's (ex Manufacturers Bottle Co.) 923. The first dozen or so 923s here all came with a wide hood but still had the smaller 900 square inch radiator.The story was that they didn't know if the smaller radiator could handle our conditions,and if not they would need to change the radiator only.As they could handle the conditions they went with the narrow hoods there after. Well that was the story I've been told....
Cheers James.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 14 hours ago #80139 by hayseed
Thanks Cam & Jimmy, i knew most of that, & have seen that First truck B&H sold.

I'm assuming that : B&H were the First Agent appointed By Paccar Aust..
& that the Inverell Phone No. in Jimmy's flyer is for an Agent that camerons' appointed, Prior to Paccar assuming Distrubution rights for Australia..........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Topic Author
12 years 14 hours ago #80140 by
notice the doug wyton pic when new from 1964 has the normal back 'screen but in latter days it's got a tiny rear window aperture..

and that lovely old bottle manufacturers 923 looks fantastic in olive green and white...very '70's period stuff... :'( :'( 8-) 8-)

...cheers

• Topic Author
12 years 13 hours ago #80141 by
Thanks for your input again Detective.Yes I guess a few modifications has been made to the Wyton 923 (roof,fuel tank,no sunvisor,ect). Cheers James.

• Topic Author
12 years 13 hours ago #80142 by

Thanks Cam & Jimmy, i knew most of that, & have seen that First truck B&H sold.

I'm assuming that : B&H were the First Agent appointed By Paccar Aust..
& that the Inverell Phone No. in Jimmy's flyer is for an Agent that camerons' appointed, Prior to Paccar assuming Distrubution rights for Australia..........

This might be one for Detective to answer... I'm not sure about the inverell branch (I think it was still Camerons) and as far as I'm aware when B&H started the KW agency it was still during the Cameron period.I think PACCAR took over the Aust KW dealership around 1966 at the same time they decided to discontinue with the Peterbilt Dealership.
I'm not really sure though.... Cheers James.

More
12 years 4 hours ago #80143 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"
BK
M8
OK

Eye'll bite
if its cum n off how did he get it back th@ far off the deck........or is there C@D9 to right of camera we can't C
LOL

Cya

Surely you've chained a load to a tree and driven away??
Just remember to put a turnbuckle in the chain so you can loosen it to retrieve your chain. ;D

Trust me

More
12 years 3 hours ago #80144 by hayseed

BK
M8
OK

Eye'll bite
if its cum n off how did he get it back th@ far off the deck........or is there C@D9 to right of camera we can't C
LOL

Cya

Surely you've chained a load to a tree and driven away??
Just remember to put a turnbuckle in the chain so you can loosen it to retrieve your chain. ;D

I just use a chain Dog ;)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Topic Author
12 years 1 hour ago - 12 years 8 minutes ago #80145 by
Getting back on track here...
According to the build sheets the first 7 S-model were identicle trucks 6v71,8125-U (12 speed),FE900 (11,000lb),SQHD (38,000lb) @ 6.16 on GSW torsion bar, although the build sheet shows 35,000lb for the rear axles (maybe something to do with the suspension).
What would GSW stand for??? Maybe Gravity Spring and they were earlier used on Worm drive rears.I've heard torsion bar suspensions were originally developed during the war and used on military tanks...
They all had 5 spoke hubs,"kenworth" letter sets on the hood (not a badge),no sunvisor,odd Aust fitted park lights (not Sig-stat),brake foot valve on the floor and that clutch pedal through the toe board.
The build sheets also show they were all painted red & white with Blomfield's livery,but 3 of Cameron's were green and the demonstrator was red & white.Also they had a standard driver's seat,but in Mick Marr's photo the Demonstrator has a air seat still wrapped in plastic.
Just a few mystries to discuss.... Cheers James.

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #80146 by
Some technical info.... The first 7 S-models had a model 7067-8240 6V71 and SAE #1 flywheel housing. Cheers JOTS.

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #80147 by
g'day jimmy .. the aussie park lights were lucas roadmaster and more common to pommie lorries and cars..

the brochure of the 6V71 shows the words on the rocker covers.. ''detroit deisel'' rather than the earlier.. ''general motors diesel'' wording...

this was apparently to do with the jimmy's being offered into other makes and was a courtesy to these manufacturers...the change happened around 1966 ??

Time to create page: 0.648 seconds