Skip to main content

First Kenworths "down under"

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #80148 by
Replied by on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"

g'day jimmy .. the aussie park lights were lucas roadmaster and more common to pommie lorries and cars..

the brochure of the 6V71 shows the words on the rocker covers.. ''detroit deisel'' rather than the earlier.. ''general motors diesel'' wording...

this was apparently to do with the jimmy's being offered into other makes and was a courtesy to these manufacturers...the change happened around 1966 ??

Thanks for the info on the Park lights Detective... I didn't know that, now know what to keep an eye
for. Also I believe the S-model V6s had plain rocker covers. Cheers James.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #80149 by Chocs
Probably not enough room under the cab for embossed rocket covers..

Lookin at that cab interior shot, it would be like sitting in a catcher behind a victa :D

Said with a "don't be norty chocs" look on his face'

chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 11 months ago #80150 by Swishy

Chox
M80

RE:not enough room under the cab

NFW

Nuff room to swing a C@ of 9 tailz

Cum C 4 u're self
Saturday 28th April 2012 10:am on @ laverton

All welcom
All breeds
n even them Cummins jiggerz

Bring photos n info

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #80151 by
I agree with Swishy with the pic he put on as it even has Jacobs spacers as well.... Also regarding the cab Chocs I spent a couple of years operating my first S-model as a rigid tipper around the Sydney metro area,wouldn't swap it for anything else as I could pull up at a set of lights and perve on(I mean admire) the chick in the car on my left as well.... Cheers JOTS.

More
11 years 11 months ago #80152 by dieselman
Hello Jimmy. It was good to see a photo of the KW rig truck,bought back some memorys of my first time in the OZ oil patch,12 years with ODE(now called ENSIGN) as a rig mechanic and still with them. Always had a strong passion for the older trucks which still last today!!some of the mechanics considered the older trucks as junk and a zero care factor was in place,crying shame when this happens.You might see this on the KW rig truck.As soon as the truck pusher found out that i was a truck mechanic that new how to repair properly,they had me doing extra time to do work on the classics!!!!Excellent idea but not for the wife. I have some photos of some early ODE KW rig trucks in Libya(still in use) and a b model rig truck in Indonesia.Photos will have to be dug out of the cupboard when i get off the rig in 2 weeks and post them for all to enjoy.
dieselman

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #80153 by
g'day dieselman .. itching to know, that you may know a bit about the hunt oil trucks that came into the country ...and departed to parts unknown forever :'( :'( :'(

and.. jimmy there was a period of time (about 1965) when there was indeed ''no name'' covers and was just a part of the transition to the new style..the old oakgrove S model has these exact covers...cheers

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #80154 by
Yes Dieselman Can't wait to see the pics.... We purchased the truck from Ensign and went out and picked it up from the Moomba gas fields in OD&E's yard.Andrew in the office at Elizabeth was great.... Would love to know more about the cab change and if there is any possibility if the cab and hood may still exsist some-where. Cheers James.

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #80155 by

Duz U notice the heat shroud so U dont burn u're fingiez
LOL
Door mounted Mirrors n no parkin lights n looks bare without a sunvisor

Here is a driver's side view of the S-model in Swishy's ad.Notice 2 grab handles on the driver's side as is 1 on the passenger's side.In production of these cabs 1 grab handle is standard on each side for a standard conventional,a second handle is put on the driver's side of a S-model as a after thought.We found while restoring one of these cabs the extra handle does not have a reinforcement plate fixed to the cab like the other two.More useless information..... Cheers James.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #80156 by Swishy

JotS
Gudday M8

RE: Grab Handles
the Oz V: did have 2 on the passenger side
turher one waz on the side of the off-siders seat
(If U could imagine this pic ass backwards on the passenger side)
[img

Clik here if U must

Also

gotta have an Also

in u're KW flyer
there B no front brakes
Not th@ they do much any way

Cya
[ch9787]

Found me nuther also
the yanks dont run with the rubber hood latch down doodadds

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Swishy.

• Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #80157 by
Looks like your giving detective a bit of competion here swishy.... You seem to be correct,I've had a close look at the factory photo of the yankie S-model and there doesn't appear to be any "hood hold downs".Maybe they have not installed them yet as I can't believe that they would have the hood floating loose and don't know of any other hold down method they used at the time.
You are also correct about the seat in your pic,it is actually a passenger's seat and when you slide it across to its correct position the handle is there stairing you in the face when you open the door...
Front brakes were also an option in those days.When front brakes were fitted they usually had a "dry road/slippery road" valve on the dash to limit the front braking (as Jimbo51 corrected me a while back)...
Cheers JOTS.
ps.The standard conventionals with a unitglas hood had a mechanical hood lock through the fire wall but still had the rubber hold downs,never noticed this type of hood lock on a S-model.

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds