Skip to main content

First Kenworths "down under"

More
12 years 2 days ago #80178 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"
re Detectives reply # 72, no wheel winch or spare.

The drivers would not change a tyre, they came to work in shirt and tie, the truck was hooked up, faceing the gate ready to go, they drove to a change over point and swapped trucks.
Drove into the yard and got out and went home, nothing else, it's been said some of them could not back a semi. :o

Trust me

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #80179 by
Replied by on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"

re Detectives reply # 72, no wheel winch or spare.

The drivers would not change a tyre, they came to work in shirt and tie, the truck was hooked up, faceing the gate ready to go, they drove to a change over point and swapped trucks.
Drove into the yard and got out and went home, nothing else, it's been said some of them could not back a semi. :o

Sorry BK regarding your comments about the drivers back them.I think they would leave todays drivers for dead (that includes me).The road conditions,the Hume run at the time and also the operating gear... Can you imagine throughing todays drivers into that????
Just my opinion......
Also all the Ansett trucks at the time as well as other operaters all had Spare wheels on the trucks....
Thanks for your input BK,we'll just agree to disagree... LOL
So here's a interesting point BK has raised regarding changing a tyre.Did operaters such as Ansett and others have a break-down unit running the highways like some of the US operaters of that era???? Cheers James.

More
12 years 2 days ago #80180 by geoffb
Good reading about the overnight trip He must have been getting tired towards the end mentioning going through Kyneton before Pretty Sally :o

More
12 years 1 day ago - 12 years 1 day ago #80181 by bparo

Bruceman
Gudday M8
Say Rrrrrrrrrr
Where's u're buccaneers
n dont say under me hat
LOL
Yes @ the time me thinks I asked U 4 permission n U said Ok n then U steered me to Des n he said Yes

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr M80z

LOL

Cya
[ch9786]

your right Swishy (hence the ;) after my comment - i couldn't find a tounge-in-cheek smiiley) but there is no harm advertising the yearbook is there - some may find the other articles interesting as well!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 12 years 1 day ago by bparo.

More
12 years 1 day ago #80182 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: First Kenworths "down under"
Jimmy O S, I'm not sure what era you're referring to ??
I'm talking mid 60's and Brisbane to Nambucka (I think) on the Pacific. a mate of mine subbied for AFE then and it's his story I'm relaying. At that time I was in a B61 and only going as far south as Coffs.
But I'll agree with you about disagreeing. :D

Trust me

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 1 day ago #80183 by Swishy

there'z those th@ beleive everything in print
n then there R those th@ dont beleive everything they read

n me
eye dunno n eye dont care

LOL

If eye could count like chox
eye twould say

5 sleeps ta go

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
12 years 15 hours ago #80184 by
Sounds like all the excitement is building for the big day,Greg looks a pretty proud man next to his beloved S-model....
Just reading Des Judd's story again and notice he mentions some of the features of the Ansett S-models. The heated mirrors,overhead temp gauges (rear axles & transmission),the operation of the spicer 12 speed (8125-U) and also the fleet number 412 and 402 which was one of the converted single drives (the first two single drives didn't have the above features).
Here is another Ansett article,They mention a K925 which was actually a K125.... Cheers JOTS.

• Topic Author
12 years 14 hours ago - 12 years 14 hours ago #80185 by
g'day jimmy .. kicked the old cameron S model in the guts on saturday, for the first time in 5 years...started instantly and runs like a swiss watch.. :) :)

..that was the easy bit ... :o :o ;D ;D so now just have to make her roadworthy enough for the short trip down to laverton....cheers

More
12 years 14 hours ago #80186 by geoffb
A couple minutes here and there a bit of polish and a light bar all will be good Sherlock ;)

• Topic Author
12 years 14 hours ago #80187 by
Great to hear about the Cameron S-model Detective.... first start in 5 years,hope you checked the emergency shut down works just in case she had a ceased injector...
All the best for the big day!!!! Cheers James.

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds