Skip to main content

Tibooburra road

More
12 years 6 days ago #80695 by ronhorse
Tibooburra road was created by ronhorse
Northwest NSW is probly the hardest, most unforgiving part's of the country, a tribute to the people who live there. I happened to be at a loose end at Broken Hill, not to be confused with Brokeback Mountain, unless you want to get into a fight! Drivin' my life away, lookin' for a better way, having a beer in a pub got to talking with a man named Percy Williams who had the mail run to Tibooburra, he asked me if I would do a couple of trips up there. as he had a driver out.
He had an old Albian diesel traytop and loaded it with mail and supplies, the roughest road I have ever driven on since the Murranjia track, bulldust a foot thickn, the old English trucks had a steel steering wheel that got so hot I had to use two rags to hold it with. On the way I stopped at a small pub at I think Milparinka was the name, it was full of people, where they came from I don't know, a lady playing a honky tonk piano, very jovial atmosphere so I stayed too long of course, went to climb up into my truck and fell backwards and kept running backwards for about 50 feet and fell over a salt bush, funny feeling.
I finaly got to Tibooburra, very friendly place, just did the one trip and moved on.
I met Percy Williams later on in Adelaide, he had sold the mail run and bought a Foden Mickey Mouse cab as part of Readymix concrete, I was driving for a guy Ron Ormsby with an 8 wheel Foden with a 9 yard mixer on it, all remote control driven by a Bedford petrol engine, at that time biggest in the country I believe, around 1962. I had a bad case of the flu when I parked it that night and made it home, next day too sick so Ron took it out and loaded it with it's 9 yards of concrete when the Bedford quit, they spent some time trying to get it started but couldn't, finaly checked the fuel, empty, filled it but too late!! 9 yards of solid concrete.
again, moved on, just as well we never had resum'es in those days, no background checks!! :) :)

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #80696 by Eddy Brown
Replied by Eddy Brown on topic Re: Tibooburra road
Does any one know what this windscreen is from? It is going to be auctioned in a clearing sale and It would help to know what it is off!

[img]J:\March 2012\My Pictures\New Folder (2)\IMG_2842[/img]

gunbower.blogspot.com

Edward

More
11 years 11 months ago #80697 by Eddy Brown
Replied by Eddy Brown on topic Re: Tibooburra road
Hmmm, My Pic does not seem to have shown up! shows i am a learner, and still have not worked out the way of getting a pic to show!
but if you have a look at Gunbower.blogspot.com
towards the end of the blogs there is a split windscreen that is joint by the metal frame that goes all around it and down the middle of it, and there is latchs or catches on the inside of the screen! the outside ends of the screen are wider top to bottom than the middle section of the screen which narrows down making me think of a Flat version of a Micky mouse screen or MMMM ! I dont know!

More
11 years 11 months ago #80698 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: Tibooburra road
If you had chucked in some sugar it would have stopped the concrete going off .duno how it works but it does .

More
11 years 11 months ago #80699 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Tibooburra road
Concretors use Sugar to stop the top of concrete driveways going hard ,when they do exposed aggregate finish . Bottom still goes hard . So would have to mix it right though to neutralize all the cement .

11 years 11 months ago #80700 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tibooburra road
Tell me , how do windscreens and concrete mix ? eh ? Totally bewildered here folks ? :-[

More
11 years 11 months ago #80701 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Tibooburra road
For those that didn't look the blog has pictures of ALL the items in the 4th May clearing sale and a link to utube of the commer in action - should be in For Sale section.

The windscreen comes from a late 30's early 50's pommy truck. Many came without a cab and had an Aussie built one. Possibly an Albion or even a super beaver/hippo. Worth saving, especially as it is straight and complete with fittings.

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds