Skip to main content

heggie's transport

More
9 years 2 months ago #81258 by Giddy up Go
Replied by Giddy up Go on topic Re: heggie's transport
Great work Xspanrman,thanks for posting.Interesting detail,particularly re the '88.What else you got???

"Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there....."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #81259 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Re: heggie's transport
I forgot to mention the trucks of G. Sorrell of Thirroul also acquried in 1971. Their trucks included an S.B. Bedford, 3 TK? Bedfords with Leyland engines, a Commer Knocker and all were coupled to McGrath bogie trailers. A Perkins powered bedford TK? tabletop and a J1 Bedford that had like a small pan on the back. A S.B. Bedford crane (non slewing) was based at the Steelworks in the crane pool yard. This crane was latter replaced by an Austin crane ( ex Corrimal Transport) but painted in Heggie's colors.
The SAR,s ( Heggie,s brought six, then 6 LHD's V692GM's) in Richard's Mohr's photos had 8V71T GM's RTO 12515 Roadrangers and Eaton diffs.S cam brakes where the W models had wedge brakes.
Prior to the W model Kenworths Heggie's also operated on the coal an ERF 6x4, a Cummins powered Dodge that was sold to Kelso Freeman, 8x4 ACCO's one was a side tipper but proved to be not very successful as the coal would tend to fall between the axles. A range of Leyland Hippos, AEC Marshall and Mammoth Majors, (AEC Mammoth Major sold to subbie Tony Sleckie) Albion Reiver and I recall an AEC Mustang which may have belonged to a subbie. All about 1960 vintage.
Heggie's Wallerawang (Lithgow) prior to being sold to Phil Symons and his business partner ( the start of Western Gold) and I remember the Bellambi yard sending an 8x4 ERF, 8x4 Perkins powered ACCO. 8x4 Albion , 6x4 Leyland Super Hippo (ex Lennon Towers) rigid tippers up there to work on the coal.
An AEC Mandator with sleeper cab and Roadranger gearbox ( 1 of 3 special ordered for Grace Brothers Removals. Graham McNair another subbie had another one) was brought off subbie John Genge of Thirroul. This truck continued to work at the Bellambi yard on flattop work.
Heggie's also had trucks working at Queanbeyan and Blackwater in Queensland.
Heggie's Transport name was changed to Heggie's Bulkhaul when Max Dunbier? purchased the company and now Scott Group has dropped the Heggie's name altogether.

More
9 years 1 month ago #81260 by f700
Replied by f700 on topic Re: heggie's transport
Hi, We have an old W model Kenworth here which we think was one of Heggies trucks. It has a 8v71 and 15 spd with torsion bar suspension . Also has wedge brakes. This truck is in a bit of a sad state and has been parked up in the weather since the early 1990s . At the moment it is painted maroon but it has been yellow . Where the paint has flaked we can see it was originally white with red on the lower part and a blue stripe round the middle. We are not sure of the year model but it has 1969 painted on the hood sides. The chassis No is 109946 , It appears to have had a refurbishment when it was painted maroon as it has a highrise sleeper,polished alloy tanks and bulbar and chrome wheels. I will attempt to put up a couple of photos of it tomorrow.

9 years 1 month ago #81261 by
Replied by on topic Re: heggie's transport
Hi f700 .. going by the list i have here K123 ch/no 109946 was first owned by Lahood's Tpt and delivered 3-5-1968 with an Inline 6/71 GM and 10 sp RR....

...just check that number again as a K123 is a cabover...

More
9 years 1 month ago #81262 by f700
Replied by f700 on topic Re: heggie's transport
Hi, Detective. Thanks for that info, I will tilt the front on it tomorrow and check that number. My younger brother owns it and that's the number he gave me . It definitely is not a k123 cabover.

More
9 years 1 month ago #81263 by Spiffy
Replied by Spiffy on topic Re: heggie's transport
This W model F700 is describing was one of two sold by Heggies to T.S.Green Tpt in maybe 1980 or '81.

Following their aquisition by Chemtrans shortly after, it was repainted in yellow with a blue band which is the undercolour

F700 has found.

I bought it from Chemtrans in about '83 and have had it up until passing it on to the current owner.

It is w925 specs (with jakes) and the heavier diffs described by xspanrman in reply #17 .It was always a no nonsense hard

working old girl for me.

The serial no listed by f700 is one stamped into the left hand rail just rearward of the extension .

While this No. was legit and kosher by the RTA as far back as their records went, as pointed out by Detective it was

incorrect in relation to the build data.I was never concerned with the anomolly myself , but a bit of scratching and emory

cloth in the right place would reveal the girls true identity no doubt.

I seem to recall that the second of these two trucks suffered a serious misshap and IIRC may have finished her days at Gleemans

The lower picture from the Richard Mohr collection in post #14 by Swishy would be very representative of the truck , fresh ex Heggies.

In fact should it actually be one of these I would be betting on the one closest to camera, in relation to the position of the KW badge and the blue bonnet lining

I can recall the hole in the guards which would have been about where the driving lights are mounted. Im unsure if all of the six trucks mentioned had these though. also ,the cab lights fitted in this picture seem an older style to the ones fitted to my old girl.

Spiffy

More
9 years 1 month ago #81264 by Giddy up Go
Replied by Giddy up Go on topic Re: heggie's transport
....Very interesting information Spiffy....good on ya for contributing. What else you got in that big hat...??? ;).

"Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there....."

More
9 years 1 month ago #81265 by xspanrman
Back to Heggie's K100 slimlines. One was latter fitted with a steel tipping body and used as a rigid tipper for a couple of years. I think this truck was sold and repainted blue and white cab and blue tipping body. I last saw this KW at a scrap dealers yard on Five Islands Rd Port Kembla (opposite Cringilla Pub) about 2 years ago. Heggie's Kembla Grange when I was working there also had 4 new F86 Volvo 8 wheeler tippers, 1 ex Clifton Idea Brick F86 Volvo 8 wheeler tipper and a petrol powered tilt cab ACCO tipper that relocated from the Queanbeyan yard.
I recall one W model having a chassis rail replaced (due to a crack ) and this may be the reason some identifying numbers no longer match up. Some W models had latter bonnets fitted after accidents. The latter bonnets were wider aroung the grill.
Fleet number 211 was the first Heggie's Kenworth and driven by Col Woods. Heggies later used this truck as a rigid water tanker at Appin Mine. One of Heggie's managers told me that after Col Woods's funeral he received a message that 211 had caught fire and was never repaired. Fleet numbers for the six W models started at 211 and the last 221. A couple of Dodge parcel vans had flleet numbers between 211 and 221.
The fleet numbers were usually located under the Heggie's sign on both doors.

More
9 years 1 month ago #81266 by xspanrman
Back to the coal trucks prior to 1979. Lennon Towers operated out of a yard near Tallawarra power station with a fleet of Leyland Hippos, a Beaver ( sent to Bellambi yard, overhauled and a new cab fitted, and sold to subbie Terry Rofe. Alan Doherty Transport ended up with this truck carting coal out of South Bulli mine) a Super Hippo was fitted with a dump body and sent to Wallerawang. As the Hippo's were replaced the W model Kenworths worked from the Tallawarra yard.
A F88 Volvo 4x2 (one of a limited batch that came to Australia, it had a wide grill the same as a G89) originally started on flat top work at Bellambi but had a tri axle tipper fitted to carry bulk malt from a railway siding at Woonona to the breweries in Sydney. This outfit reguarly worked on the coal as well.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #81267 by Danny
Replied by Danny on topic Re: heggie's transport
Very very interesting stuff. Especially the story of the F88, was real surprised to see that pic amongst the ones you gave Snaws2! Never realised we had any F88/89s running about the Gong.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Danny.

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds