Skip to main content

memories from the 70 s

More
11 years 11 months ago #81503 by greg wright
i can remember coming home from MELBOURNE one night to SYDNEY , i was north of YASS and my last coffee ? must have been wearing off and i started to hallucinate , i saw a 6 foot high turkey on the road , so pulled up quietly and crept out of the truck to grab this bird and throw it in the pantec,dont know what i was going to do with it , but as i got to the front of the truck the cold air hit me and all disappeared , i was hoping no one saw me and quickly got back in the saddle and made it back home for a good sleep .i havent told too many people this story ,in case they thought i was on drugs . wink wink /

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81504 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: memories from the 70 s
I also have a story that nobody knows.I pulled up half way down the "steps and stairs"one night to let a full sized warship go across.A couple of KAA's had to do a quick sidestep to go around me.They must have wondered WTF !

More
11 years 11 months ago #81505 by kenny-mopar
ive been tired but not as bad as you guys ..but have had two cars over the years run up the back doors of the truck ..i guess they were a bit tired ! ..

More
11 years 11 months ago #81506 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: memories from the 70 s
i heard of a young bloke heading across from Portland to Mount Gambier in the early hours of the morning..
As he approached the rail crossing near a timber mill...
One of what was then Elliot's cranes from Geelong, and we are talking a big slew deck crane with all the flashing lights and gear.....
Pulled straight out across the road just after the line!!

Apparently the young bloke threw out all the stops and put a considerable amount of rubber down on the bitumen..
Stopped in time but the was no crane! :-/

He also had a great deal of difficulty holding a straight face when a fellow operator commented on the length and severity of the rubber on the road!
commented..bloody lucky he didnt get the train by the look of it..would have got his heart beating!

chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 11 months ago #81507 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: memories from the 70 s

Dunno how tru thiz iz

Did hear many moons ago
a IS truck driver well known up the Hume , pulled over for a sleep
dead fast asleep n a M8 sees his truck n pulls up n starts the sleepers truck n turns his truck around so he B facein back from where he came from
??

Wunder if .... n howlong B 4 he relized go n the rong way when he woke up to get back into it
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 11 months ago #81508 by oldbugger
I remember one night 40 years ago north of Moree I stopped in the middle of no where to let a family cross the road, I saw them standing, from memory for a fair time before I convinced myself to stop, I can still see them now they were mum, dad, boy and girl all grouped together, 50's clothes all dressed to go to the seaside, the kids had spades and pails, the spades were the flat wooden types with a round hole in the handle, but they were all grey and I can not remember if they crossed, probably still waiting.

More
11 years 11 months ago #81509 by John Whale
reading this topic brings back a memory 25 odd years ago was running racehorses all over the country (family bussiness so bring your own wages)had done melb to brisbane back to sydney to melb then to adelaide on the way back somewhere near keith saw what i thought was charlie chaplin step out from the bush doff his hat and twirl his cane. thinking that hell i have had enough pulled up and slept. woke up at lunch time and made my way home. thought i had better keep this to myself was reading in the herald sun a few days later that a bloke had walked from adelaide to melb to raise money and you guessed it dressed as charlie chaplin no-one else knows this so keep it dark will you. regards whale

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds