Skip to main content

1968 Mayne Nickless

More
11 years 5 months ago #94746 by Roderick Smith
I have just prepared these for four railway groups. I could post just the leading views, but have the trailing two.
Clearly one of the three is an Atkinson, but identifications of all (make/model) will be helpful.
The occasion was the transfer of Australian Standard Garratt G33 from Fyansford (where the railway had been replaced with a conveyor belt) to the Australian Railway Historical society museum, North Williamstown, on Thurs.5.9.68. Now, agreement has been reach to transfer it to Bellarine Railway (Queenscliff, Vic.) for restoration to working order. The new transfer is likely to be in one piece, using trailers which have been discussed in a different thread.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

http://home.pacific.net.au/~railnewsv/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #94747 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
I reckon the first one is a Mack Flintstone , the last one is a B model Mack .

More
11 years 5 months ago #94748 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
there was a fella at trafalgar gippsland Trevor Ralls had a Bmodel with 871GM always told me it was ex mayn nicholas assumed somthing fast interstate Ralls had it on float work went well when i was in it last time I saw it they changed motor to 671GM still quad box though

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 5 months ago #94749 by Roderick Smith
Here is a frontal view of the leading prime mover, currently nominated as a Mack Flintstone.

The second I have included because of the Bedford.
The mystery is the location. I have used the filename 'near Newport'.
Almost certainly it is some part of Kororoit Creek Rd, unrecognisable today.
The convoy had to arrive via Champion Rd, Newport.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 5 months ago #94750 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
this is all very interesting, so is this steamer in preservation now, be nice to get some links to it please , there is one of these out in the back block of the old vintage village at Forbes, i hope it survives..

More
11 years 5 months ago #94751 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
;) www.nearmap.com/?q=newport@-37.855525,14...=20&t=h&nmd=20120412

I recon this is it, every day i walk from the front office to the workshop, i see it!

Not really into trains, but it is an impressive bit of gear

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
11 years 5 months ago #94752 by Young Fella
Replied by Young Fella on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
The photo of the Flintstone Mack on the freeway is on a stretch of the Princes Freeway between Little River and Werribee. I can tell by the crest and dip in the road, it's still there today, but now it is 3 lanes wide in each direction.

The photo of the intersection has me beat. I grew up around the Altona, Newport and Williamstown area, but I don't recognise the intersection. Perhaps it is in the early stage of the journey around Geelong.

More
11 years 5 months ago #94753 by Roderick Smith
Thanks all.
This particular Garratt is an Australian Standard Garratt (G33 in the construction series; 3 in the Fyansford Cement roster) and is the last survivor.
See: < en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Standard_Garratt> ;
It will be restored to working order.

The one at Forbes is from a different maker, and is a larger machine (the NSWR 60 class). There are survivors at Dorrigo and Thirlmere, and one is under restoration in Canberra, and should be back on the tracks in 2013. There are survivors of other Garratt designs in Queensland, NSW, Victoria and SA. The type has a lot in common with some semi trailers: a powerful locomotive could be built with a low axledload for light tracks on colonial railways. They were used on most continents, but the greatest successes were in Australia and Africa (where some are still at work in Zimbabwe, and others are on preservation lines). The very first of the type, quite small, was built in UK for Tasmania, and is now running on Welsh Highland Railway. Puffing Billy Railway runs one, and has obtained two more, from South Africa.

On the mystery location: the photo was taken after the Little River - Werribee ones. My feeling is that this was the exit from Geelong Rd into Kororoit Creek Rd, an area which has been reshaped completely. The next several are in a featureless landscape: no petrochemical tanks, or any of the industries which line Kororoit Creek Rd today. Were all of those newer than 1968?

Way back, family picnics from South Melbourne to Werribee involved routing via Williamstown Rd, the punt, and wiggling onto Kororoit Creek Rd.

I still can't work out how the semi trailers got around the corners to approach Champion Rd from the east. Maybe they were able to take the roundabout outside Rifle Club Hotel anticlockwise? If so, surely I would have photographed the move. Perhaps they crossed the railway, and did a 180 deg around that roundabout, then crossed back again.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 5 months ago #94754 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
The B model looks like a B615 with the 255 h.p. Mack END864 V8 motor, as these had the heavy cast radiator. I remember reading in an old Truck and Bus magazine that Mayne Nickless had a heavy haulage Atkinson with a Rolls Royce C6 motor, I wonder if this is one of these trucks. The Flintstone R model would probably be either an R609 with 211 h.p. END711 motor or R611 with 250 h.p. ENDT673C motor.-Hamish Petrie

More
11 years 5 months ago #94755 by busntruck
Replied by busntruck on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
Wow: classic old pic's. 8-)

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds