Skip to main content

White semitrailer bus

More
11 years 4 months ago #101096 by Roderick Smith
In the 1950s, Portsea Passenger Service ran semitrailer buses.
The last ran in 1965 (over 35 years ago), as a school bus for Rosebud High School. At the end of the year, the bus was declared illegal and retired. The White prime mover was sold; the trailer went to a chook farm in Balnarring to be used as a chook shed.
Bill was at one stage a driver of interstate tour buses, and is now a supervisor with Portsea Passenger Service.
His two photos were taken on the last day of the bus in traffic, in Dec.65.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #101097 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: White semitrailer bus
Ryde Bus Company ( also trading as "Trailer tours" ) had these buses in Parramatta in the 60s.

More
11 years 4 months ago #101098 by Roderick Smith
IIRC, other operators included one over Hornibrook Hwy to Redcliffe Peninsula (Brisbane, Qld), and Murray Valley Coach Line (Vic.). I don't have any documentation available fast.
Somewhere I have photos of examples in South Africa.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 4 months ago #101099 by Mrsmackpaul
at least the driver wouldn't have to put up with screaming kids :)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 4 months ago #101100 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: White semitrailer bus
There were one or two operating on the gold coast late 50's too.

Trust me

More
11 years 4 months ago #101101 by MBTRAC
Replied by MBTRAC on topic Re: White semitrailer bus
I recall very well going on a primary school excursion on one of these semi bus' in the very early '70s from school at Connells Point (Sydney) to the Rotolactor at Menangle.......I remember it well because the semibus even at the time seemed like a vintage relic from a wrecking yard or a museum & the trailer smelt like it been exhumed from a tip - I'm sure I have photo's (old polariods ) somewhere of the excursion with the bus in the background.
The other things that stick in my mind is that it was a hot summer 40c+ day when we climbed aboard this "cattle crate" & the old vintage (presumably White ) prime mover was lethargic, belching exhaust fumes non stop into the open (& from age very clouded )windows of the trailer ....... add copious amounts of warmish milk fed to us at the Rotolactor & the return journey turned into a trip from hell on a very slow moving "vomit comet" ....I reckon the bus company (can't recall who it was, but probably one based around the local Hurstvile area ) reserved this trailer monstrosity solely for school excursions & didn't every clean it hence the nauseating smell in the thing.....

More
11 years 4 months ago #101102 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: White semitrailer bus
Talk of semi buses got me looking for this one ,a Federal I think 1946 or there abouts of Murray Valley Bus Lines

Would have been a better picture if the footballers were not standing in front of it

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 4 months ago #101103 by oldb
Replied by oldb on topic Re: White semitrailer bus
The Scarborough Bus Company had some semi tailer busses over here on the left coast. They disapeared in the early 60s also.
There seems to have been quite a few around Australia - Why were they all scrapped at abut the same time ?? Safety reasons or what ?
Cheers Neil

More
11 years 4 months ago #101104 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: White semitrailer bus
Mairjimmy, good old photo you posted, pity about all the fellas standing in front of it. The prime mover isn't a Federal, it's a 1940-1941 Ford.-Hamish Petrie

More
11 years 4 months ago #101105 by Dodge fan
Replied by Dodge fan on topic Re: White semitrailer bus
How times have changed? When these old girls were retired people were glad to see the last of them. I suppose there were many reasons for this. Now they would be very popular as curiosities showing how we used to travel around. Make a good motor home too ;)
Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds