Skip to main content

AECs and Albions

More
9 years 9 months ago #105962 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: AECs and Albions
According to Alan Towsin in The Blue Triangle the Sabre was rear engine, 11 and 12 metre lengths and was seen at the 1970 (English Motor) show. However he goes on to say that it never went beyond the prototype stage which is a very good example of the export myopia commonly exhibited by this author who is (Obviously mistakenly) held up as an authority on the subject.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 9 months ago #105963 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Lookz like sum R have n truble wiff Host sites to post D pix

Here B a Cuple From BlackDuck59
he may have wordz to follo

Looks like the BlackDuck haz been walkabout
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 9 months ago #105964 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Thanks Swish, the second pic does not belong in this thread, 1st V6 Cummins I have seen.
Both pic's from Coober Peddy.
Did a little wander from WAus to Alice and back and slacked off and did not used the camera as much as one should have.
Cheers Steve

More
9 years 9 months ago #105965 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Taken from AROline>
[IMG

More
9 years 9 months ago #105966 by Fred in Geelong
G'day Dave64, that yellow AEC you speak of was in the yard of A Pitman in Mc Curdy Road after they bought it out of the Limestone quarry at Batesford. There was a number of them, as about 6 sat in a timber yard in Buckley Grove in Moolap for some time as well. Interestingly enough, Pitmans had a small fleet of bonneted Duetzes, both single and bogie with single and bogie tippers working down in the limestone quarry and as a kid l used sit halfway up Hyland street and listen to those aircooled V8's working as they climbed the hill in the late arvo on their way to the yard. Back in the early 60's my dad built half cabs for some of Pitmans older AEC's and one even gained an articulated crane. Fred.

More
9 years 8 months ago #105967 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Fred in Geelong.

Thanks for the info re that old AEC at Fyansford. She was certainly a beast, would have been a handful to steer, I would guess.
Would I be right in saying they were most likely ex-Brit Army tank recovery vehicles?

Being originally from NSW, I do remember A Pitman & Sons, think they were around Revesby way? They also used to cart a lot of spun concrete pipes for Monier, Rocla, one of those mobs.

Knew a bloke who bought one of Pitmans ex "V8 Harley-Davidsons", single drive had a ZF box which was worn out, threw a R/Ranger in it , then blew the engine up on it's maiden voyage to Melbourne pulling one of Vaughn Tpt's pans with a full load of Red Tulip in it a week before Easter!

Cheers, Dave 64

More
9 years 8 months ago #105968 by raymond m
Replied by raymond m on topic Re: AECs and Albions
re the "Albion Clydsdale" on the first page, I parted out one of those, it had a Leyland 600 engine from new, it had only been painted once, blue outside and yellow in the cab. The engine went into a sand dredge and the carcase went out to Roma somewhere.
Those V6 cummins were called the "Vandal" model. I ran one in a "Ruston Bucyrus RH20 excavator" It was a weird beast, 22RB truck frame, mechanical drive and the upper works were full hydraulic. I also saw a few fitted in NZ assembled Ford "D" series trucks.(cummins engines that is)

More
5 years 9 months ago #194404 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Re: AECs and Albions

'Here's one
since I found some pics of the old Mack on another site
I don't mind once you put it on the net it's there for everbody
I borrowed one of their site

I would appreciate it if someone with a photobucket account could repost this photo.
Thaks in advance Ray

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds