Skip to main content

OSHKOSH

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #106299 by waynestr
OSHKOSH was created by waynestr
Anyone remember ( or photos),of the Oshkosh's of Freight Transfer that used to run Sydney to Adelaide circa late 60's
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Andy Wright.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #106300 by greg wright
Replied by greg wright on topic Re: OSKOSH
I can remember one when i lived in Mc Court St

More
11 years 1 month ago #106301 by greg wright
Replied by greg wright on topic Re: OSKOSH
I can remember living in Mc Court St Wiley Park [Sydney]and someone down the street used to drive an OSHKOSH for Freight Transfer , never did get to know him , i new Happy Jack from HARTRIDGES in the same street .

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #106302 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: OSKOSH

I found a photo of a Freight Transfer Oshkosh R series-probably a 1234,1238 or 1244 model. Would have a Caterpillar 1673A-225 h.p. or 1673B-245 h.p. motor I would think. With Oshkosh model numbers of this era, the first 2 numbers represented the front axle rating-12=12,000 lbs, the last 2 numbers represented the rear axle or bogie rating-34=34,000 lbs (Rockwell SLHD) probably.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 1 month ago #106303 by waynestr
Replied by waynestr on topic Re: OSKOSH
Thanks for the photo. I remember talking to one of the drivers in Hay one night, and he said it was the roughest riding truck he had ever driven.

More
11 years 1 month ago #106304 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: OSKOSH
Geez heavy trucks for highway runnin.

More
11 years 1 month ago #106305 by oldbugger
Replied by oldbugger on topic Re: OSHKOSH
I remember seeing one of these I think it was yellow (ish) around Sydney about 1971/2 occasionally pulling 20ft containers, the unit appeared bigger than the containers. I think it was Chullora/Villawood terminal areas

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #106306 by Hi Beam
Replied by Hi Beam on topic Re: OSHKOSH
Oshkosh I drove one of these in 1971. It was then owned by Joe Harri he was a real sucker for punishment and had bought two of them. The truck had had a spraygun overhaul at Waggon Jacks (Waugh & Josephson) and was now yellow. The worst truck I ever drove. 1673B Catterpiller engine 4x4 air split spicer and hendrickson rear end. It wouldn't pull a sick lady off a portable toilet device. It was as rough as fourty bastards and if you rolled the window down more than one inch you froze in winter. If you rolled it up you gassed yourself within twenty minutes. The only good thing I can say about them is that very few ever infected Australian Roads. :'(
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by IHScout.

More
10 years 11 months ago #106307 by waynestr
Replied by waynestr on topic Re: OSHKOSH
That is virtually the opinion of the driver that I spoke to on the Hay plains when they were new. I can only shudder to think what they were like after a few years. No heaters in trucks in the late sixties

More
9 years 6 months ago #106308 by ronnieb
Replied by ronnieb on topic Re: OSHKOSH
hi.I accidentally stumbled on this thread.I an the eldest son of the man that ran this for Ron Bright- the owner.I still have a few pictures me these trucks and one me a commer knocker towing a swallows trailer. email to ronniebb55@gmail.com cheers Ron Bloomfield

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds