Skip to main content

Vale: Jim Corstorphan

More
10 years 8 months ago #120045 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Vale: Jim Corstorphan
I have been informed that those that wish to bring trucks are welcome to do so
And
Heritage Funeral Homes are on Boronia Road, Wantirna

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #120046 by Roderick Smith
I didn't know Jim, and won't be there. However, I did attend a funeral at that venue earlier in the year (see my photo of the horse hearse under the front portico, in the Hearses thread).
There is a fairly large gravel parking area at the rear, set up with dead-end crosslanes from the side drive, and right-angle parking off each; the side drive is beside the roof over the hearse area. Vertical clearance won't be a problem, but turning at the rear will need some cooperation and possibly a parking marshall (trucks mixing with cars).

I am not sure about parking restrictions in the busy road.
There should be a spare spot on the front curved drive for any specially-ceremonial highly-relevant vehicle: end on to the horse hearse.

The venue is on the north side of the road: approach from the west with a left hand turn. I can't recall if there is an opening in the median for an east approach: when I left, I made a left-hand turn, continued east, and headed north again on the next major road.

If 'bparo' is a defacto organiser for trucking friends, my advice is to either make a special preliminary trip, or view on Google Earth, and then front early with whatever radio truckies use today (or juggle with mobile phones).

It is always hard to guess in advance what size crowd will attend, but trucking people have the advantage of years of experience with rallies to know how to cope.

I am at an age now when I get more social life attending funerals than attending weddings or christenings. The style has morphed a lot, from weep & wail, to celebration of a life lived well, a legacy to family, a profession, hobbies and the community. The 'this was your life' segment brings everyone together: just about everyone attending will be in one of the views, or had been at one of the events shown. My further advice is that people who do have photos of Jim in action forward them via 'bparo' to the organiser. They may not all get in, but many could well fill important gaps.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
10 years 8 months ago #120047 by Slasha
Replied by Slasha on topic Re: Vale: Jim Corstorphan
Our deepest condolences to Stephen, Annette and Families.
May he rest in peace

On behalf of the
The American Truck Historical Society Inc (Aust Chapter)

Slasha

1974 White Road Boss

10 years 8 months ago #120048 by
Replied by on topic Re: Vale: Jim Corstorphan
I always enjoyed our lunch time chats with Jim down at the factory he always had a good story to tell.

Rest in peace Diamond Jim. Dave (bag)

Ps Steve told me today that Heritage will be puting a layer of saw dust in the car park for the Sceamers & Bedfords ;) they would all trucks parked by 12-30pm.

10 years 8 months ago #120049 by
The Corstorphan family are in my thoughts.

I clearly remember the welcome and courtesy extended when I visited the yard with DD.

RS.

10 years 8 months ago #120050 by
Well the weather looks like it going sunny for our send off for Jim .

More
10 years 8 months ago #120051 by Roderick Smith
Please participants, grab some photos: the hearse, and the HCVC contingent parked under the pines. Posting them would be a good way for the many far-flung members of this forum to share some of the spirit of the day.
Is it really outdated to dress your trucks with black crepe bonnet ribbons (like the white ones on wedding vehicles)? The cars don't, but it is still the style for AFL footballers (and cricketers?) to wear black armbands at games when recognising the recent death of a former major player. Could 'bparo' take a stock as standby, then make an on-the-spot decision whether to make the gesture or not?

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
10 years 8 months ago #120052 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: Vale: Jim Corstorphan
Thank you all for your messages of condolences, yesterday was my fathers funeral. l was travelling ok until l got there and seen so many friends , family, and truckin mates. The day was beautiful sunshine but the biggest job of the day was to lead out in front of the hearse. With the Diamond idling out in front of the hearse with bagpipes playing louder than the GM. Headlights ablaze we headed down the road, behind the hearse was the R-200 with cousin Robbo at the wheel, behind the 200 the F-750 Ford with good friend John at the wheel. My son Aaron riding shotgun with me as we farewelled Jim with the blast of the air horns. Rest in peace Dad. Stephen . :'(

Time to create page: 0.425 seconds