Skip to main content

John Coombe

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139450 by Fortunate Son
John Coombe was created by Fortunate Son
Forum and S.A. HCVC member John Coombe (alias J.C. on here) passed away on 19/3/2014 following a short illness.

I first met John on a club run about 2 years ago, and then found out he was my wife's cousin.

John left school at about 14 yrs of age to co-pilot semi's with his father. On one trip to Perth they burnt out 2 pistons in an old Albion at Nullabor Station. He and his father dismantled the engine while his mother drove from Adelaide in the Humber Snipe with spare parts. No bitumen roads then! While there John eyed off the station owner's daughter- later to become his wife Gwenda. He became an owner operator for most of his life, doing a lot of work in the outback.

When he retired he sold his 'W' model Kenworth with the unusual shutter bonnet and guards. He then got into restoring Mustangs, old caravans and a Chev C60.
An easily recognisable fellow as he always wore a 12" high black cowboy hat.
In the last 18 months, besides occasionally driving for me, he was restoring a Diamond T and furniture pan, to live in and carry a 4WD in the rear. Sadly, he did not have time to finish and enjoy it.

Always a great fan of Swishy, always having an answer and laugh for everything that Swishy put up. Always full of smart remarks and liked to have 'last' remark and laugh. Bet Swishy can't beat this.......he sold his black Mustang to the funeral director, which included the funeral cost.

JC, the legend & 1 will be sadly missed by all. His funeral will be on Wed 26th March @ 10-30 am at Taylor & Forgie, Gawler.

Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Fortunate Son.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139451 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: John Coombe

. . . he sold his black Mustang to the funeral director, which included the funeral cost.

Cheeky bugger.
I just read his last 25 post.
He would have been a good bloke to know.

My condolences.

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Bobsboy.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139452 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: John Coombe
4tune@Sun
Gudday M8

Sorry to hear JC pass n

spose he haz moved on to a bettr Freeway wiff auto shift

goes 2 sho

We here 4 a good time.....n not a long time

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Swishy.

10 years 1 month ago #139453 by
Replied by on topic Re: John Coombe
Sad to hear the passing of John I last spoke to him on the Hills of Adelaide Run. Rest in peace. Dave

More
10 years 1 month ago #139454 by Acar DC7564
Replied by Acar DC7564 on topic Re: John Coombe
Gday all , thanks Greg (4 tune8sun )for putting that up mate . Although John was a relatively recent member of the HCVC S.A. branch he brought with him a lifetime of memories of doing it hard out there on the road and I had an enormous respect for the man and his wife Gwenda who I believe did share the driving from time to time . I will never forget John and that old W model he had with "The Legend & I " on the bug scoop . Rob

1950 White superpower WC18R&&1966 Autocar DC7564rhd&&1980 White Road Boss &&

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139455 by
Replied by on topic Re: John Coombe
sincere condolences to the Coombe family and daughter, who had assisted John to tell us all about the life and times of a proud man working out in the bush R.I.P

More
10 years 1 month ago #139456 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: John Coombe
I first met John a couple of years ago at the Southern Yorke Peninsula run. Over time he and Gwenda became people you look forward to seeing at the various shows around. We called to see his toys some time after that and was blown away by the excellent resto Mustangs (one each), fibreglass caravans, Chev C60 and the newly arrived Diamond T. (I put some pics on here but don't remember what topic)
The last time I saw John was at the Truckie's Tribute in Murray Bridge where he told me about his health challenges.
John's life has a rich history of adventure and "gettin' it done". Sadly we will not get to hear the many stories he could tell.
From all S.A. HCVC members. thanks for the pleasure of knowing you John, and our deepest sympathy to Gwenda and family. RIP mate

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #139457 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: John Coombe
Here is a link to the Video Tribute that was at John's funeral, thanks to Swishy for untangling it for me-

[img

Clikity for sum good truck pix

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #139458 by Acar DC7564
Replied by Acar DC7564 on topic Re: John Coombe
Thanks Cam and Swisho for getting that link up here , watching that video tribute on the day was to me an experience and the fact that I clearly remember 'pissing' in Johns ear at the Roseworthy grain silo line up a number of years ago and introducing him to this H.C.V.C. forum and the H.C.V.C. S.A.branch both of which I believe he really enjoyed made that day a sad and ' special ' day for me and many others .
John was as iconic as that name on his bug scoop !
Thats my thoughts anyway Rob

1950 White superpower WC18R&&1966 Autocar DC7564rhd&&1980 White Road Boss &&

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #139459 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: John Coombe
Hey Rob, it was Greg who put me onto the video.

I think he was looking for a computer whiz to put it up.

Lucky Swishy knows what he's doing. LOL.

Time to create page: 0.611 seconds