Skip to main content

Oldfulla's operation

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #144439 by Roderick Smith
In lots of internet groups, some people are just names/avatars at the other end of emails. You get to meet a few at rallies, and put a face to a name; some you never meet. Whatever, you have new friends, and sympathise when they go through a medical spell, or to their loved ones when it does become a funeral. I am attending a funeral next week of one from the railway hobby who had only ever been a name on a post. I am taking the opportunity to copy across bits from a different thread, covering the recent operation, recovery, and sympathy for 'oldfulla'. He won't be the first from the group to go through this, and won't be the last. When the time comes, others will face the operation with increased confidence. I was impressed with the simplicity (keyhole surgery) of my hernia op a few years ago: one which men used to dread, painful and with slow recovery. The miracles of modern medical procedures.

Oldfulla...back on the job after getting a couple of fuel line blockages sorted at the hospital.
...glad you back on the job, did you have a couple of new sleeves fitted so you should be firing on all cylinders...
...had one done about 10 years ago...but this time seemed a bit more urgent. The 1st option they offered was to do an 'out of chassis' job (bypasses) - but I jibbed at that one so we went for sleeving...they reckoned it turned out 'good as new'. All pretty high tech stuff...glad it happened last week and not in the scrub miles from any where for a fortnight. ..it's the weirdest pain/sensation you will ever experience...Not sure about being back on all cylinders just yet - still feeling like I've been thru a washing machine backwards...Had to run with the trailer brakes dragging a bit a few times there - to slow things down a bit...for us few smokers left out there - those patch thingos seemed to work pretty well - in that environment anyway. The HD90 grade ones were a bit light - so had to go on to the EP140 version.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #144440 by
Replied by on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
...yes Rodders, very nice sentiments..... and get well soon Oldfulla ya old bugger! :) :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #144441 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
agreed
:)

More
9 years 9 months ago #144442 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
Glad to hear oldfulla is recovering well.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 9 months ago #144443 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
Thanks guys for your thoughts - is appreciated.

Just for an updaye.

Took it easy for the first fwew days - then decided to try using the 'help you stop smoking patches'. I'd used them while in hospital - and felt they were doing the job intended - except they didnt last a full 24 hours as advertised. These were the mid range variety.

so - I whet for the full strength option - because of that - and due to the fact my smoke useage fitted that strength.

Well - before 24 was up I wanst feeling very well at all - with symptoms not to dissimilar to a heart attack. Not the same - but similar.

Anyway - at the 24 hr mark I fitted a new one as req - and those symptoms increased dramaticly - to a point where I was ready to head for the hospital.

About ther same time - someone suggested - you dont think it might be 'the patches'?

So - off came the new one. Almost immediatly - the pains started to reduce - and by that afternoon - all gone.

So there is another one of lifes lessens.

Thanks again for the thoughts - and I hope my story is of use to someone sometime.

Oldfulla

More
9 years 9 months ago #144444 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
A day at a time Pete.....

Stay well my friend..

chocs 8-)

More
9 years 9 months ago #144445 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
Old fella giving them up is all in the mind tried everthing years ago Just got up one day and said thats it 15 years ago

More
9 years 9 months ago #144446 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
All in the mind....yep....one day I woke up and said no more for me....happened to be the same day I started chemo for throat cancer ;) true story! (Twas 8 years ago)

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
9 years 9 months ago #144447 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
Good luck to all the "Quitters", it was 5 years on the 23rd of May for me and was the hardest thing Ive ever done, took me seeing my dad having both his legs removed before he died to convince me it was the way to go. If you don't shake it first time around, try again, it WILL be worth it.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #144448 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Oldfulla's operation
Fellas, It's heartening to hear of some of you having the "won't power" (I won't have a smoke).

Any of you thinking of quitting, if not for yourself, think of your family. After changing doctors a number of times (they were telling him to quit), my Pop finally got the news "Mr. Carlile; you have lung cancer. It's inoperable" He was suddenly able to give up cold. He lost ten years like that! Looked great. He'd offer a packet of mints around and ask if anyone wanted a "smoke". It worked for him. Too late, as it took 5 miserable years for him to die a slow, painful death.
He was an old school panelbeater/spraypainter, but had worked for GMH for many years before ending up in spare parts at Bayside Holden. I was just doing up my first car as he was getting too sick to pass on his skills. I remember I used to play with his tinting machine when I was a kid, fascinating thing it was. He did give me his formula books.
Some of you may have seen the photo of the 1 millionth Holden coming off the line; my Pop is in that photo and got in the sh*t for stopping the line to allow it to be taken!

All power to anyone who decides it's time. Please just don't wait until it makes you crook. A lot of people here have a lot of knowledge and stories to pass on.

End of crusade.
Jarrod/ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by asw120.

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds