Skip to main content

Haulin' the Hume 2017

More
7 years 6 months ago #174862 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Haulin' the Hume 2017
Phil,
Thanks for the heads up, the particular one I was interested in was IS4337.
I was unaware that they had seven of them delivered, my particular recollection of them was they only had the 4 left by the time I had anything to do with them. They had the two single drives in Sydney as local trucks (IS 4337, which had quite a bit of money spent on it and was in extremely good nick), the other had local NSW black and yellow "F" plates on it, but at the time was well worn and looking a bit worse for wear.
As to the two based in Moorabin, which would have been the other two single drives but with disc wheels, (both Sydney trucks had the Spider rims), I can't even remember seeing them, although I had heard one was sent to Taswegia to load the fridge pans on and off the ferry. Think the same bloke who told me that, also said it was sold in Tassie after the Refrigerated Roadways takeover and stayed down there, on local container work. Which I thought would have been a bit impractical for a single drive.
BUT, you know what some blokes are like in this game, what they don't know, they make up over a few beers and the particular bloke who told me the story, was one case in point.
I can't ever remember the Eastoe's fleet having actual fleet numbers at the time, mid to late seventies, in general parlance they were referred to by rego number or even sometimes by the drivers name. ( Which again could be misleading as few drivers seemed to be allotted their "own" trucks, or at least early in the piece) Of course as they grew bigger, this all could have quite possibly changed. They may well have had designated fleet numbers within the workshop, but early days I can never remember them being displayed on the actual trucks as such. But, as always, I could be quite wrong, often am.
Reading the posts here, I noticed that the one displayed in the flyer had been identified as IS3166, one of the ones converted to tandem drive and was also the same truck that was involved in the unfortunate fatality that you mentioned.
As to the two mentioned still surviving in NSW, would be interesting to learn if they were indeed the two spider-wheeled single drives that were allocated to the Sydney depot, (IS4337 and the other local "F" plated truck.)
Cheers, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #174871 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Haulin' the Hume 2017
A quick rundown on the history of these Eastoes Petes...

ch/no 15984 was purchased second hand in 1964/65 and traded at Kenworths in 1969...currently 6X2 config. Disc wheels from new and now in Vic.

ch/no 15985 (IS 3166) had always remained as a single drive... traded at Kenworths in 1969 and written off in QLD in the early 1970's. Disc wheels from new.

ch/no 18094 is one of the two tandem drives converted early on around 1968/69 and retained by Eastoes until the mid 1970's. Disc wheels from new and later converted to spoke and now in Vic.

ch/no 18543 has always remained as a single drive and was purchased by Deacon Avenue Tpt. Richmond SA in the mid 1970's. Recently out of SA... now in Sydney, and was one of the two single drive mid 1970's Eastoe's disposals. (IS 4337 ?) spoke wheels from new.

ch/no 20040 was traded at Kenworths in 1969 as a single drive...later converted privately to 6x4. Spoke wheels from new and now in QLD.

ch/no20041 is the other one of the two single drives retained by Eastoe's till the mid 1970's and beyond that, has always been with Ken Richardson in NSW (IS 4337 ?). Spoke wheels from new.

ch/no 20263 is one of the two tandem drives converted early on around 1968/69 and retained by Eastoe's until the mid 1970's. Spoke wheels from new and now in QLD.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by defective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 6 months ago #174872 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Haulin' the Hume 2017
Phil,
Thanks for the rundown on the Eastoe's fleet, Unfortunately I never thought at the time, (well, it was nearly 40 odd years ago) or had the foresight to correlate the chassis No's with rego numbers.
But, to my way of thinking, chassis #20041 and Is4337 may just be one and the same beast. If , as you say, Ken Richardson who purchased the truck and has any record of previous rego numbers may well be the only person who may be able to confirm it..
I don't know the man personally, or if he has any affilliation with this forum, but now my curiosity has been piqued, I wonder just how I may be able to suss him out? Do you know the chap well enough to either ask the man himself? Or, if so, ask him if he could either contact me, or alternatively, if he wouldn't mind me obtaining his contact details, I could do it myself?
That's the trouble with these old jiggers, get stuck in your mind! Like I said before, IF it is one and the same, it should have been in pretty good nick as it hadn't been refurbished all that long since I got to know it.
Cheers, Dave_64

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181002 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Haulin' the Hume 2017
only 9 more sleeps....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181143 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Haulin' the Hume 2017
Where are the directions for the travellers from the south :(
Last year followed a local and he was lost :blink:

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181144 by hayseed
Browny, the directions are on the bit of paper that came with your receipt...

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181145 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Haulin' the Hume 2017
Seed M80

May eye remind U
SloonCar Browny can't reed or right
:lol:

Go Hard
or
Go Home

cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181155 by geoffb

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181157 by hayseed
Don't blame me if you can't find the Joint Browny..

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181161 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Haulin' the Hume 2017
Seed finding the Joint is easy
Rolling it is a bit harder :whistle: :whistle: :dry: