Skip to main content

Western District Road Run 13th &14th MAY 2017

More
6 years 11 months ago #181758 by tim
Hi everyone, this run is coming up fairly quickly. Steve tells me we have around 18 confirmed runners so far.
For the Melbourne runners the meeting place is at the United servo Port Melbourne WESTBOUND at the bottom of the Westgate bridge. Time 8.00 AM for an 8.30 AM departure.
For the Geelong runners, we will meet the others on the Hamilton Highway just west of the Geelong ring road somewhere around 9.30 AM or soon there after. From there we travel west to Cressy where we turn left & head to the Farmers Arms Hotel at Beeac for lunch.
My wife & I went down there today for lunch, just to check it out & it is a great pub lunch. Menu is limited to quick & easy stuff like Burgers, Bangers & Mash, Spagetti, Buttered chicken with rice etc. i had a Chicken Parmie which was great.
From Beeac we are off to David Pope's collection at Pirron Yallock.After that it's back to Colac to overnight & play some more on the Sunday. Don't forget the Sunday is Mothers Day so get your leave passes in early along with the bottle of bubbles and a bunch of Roses. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually
The following user(s) said Thank You: camma

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #181911 by camma
If anyone is interested in joining like minded individuals on a road run to the Western Districts on the 13-14/5/2017,
Please read the Monitor and call/Text me between 6-8pm on 0414 324 124.

Regards
Steve Camilleri
HCVCA
Events Coordinator

Western Districts Road Run 2017

For the Melbourne Starters:

Saturday 13/5/2017

Meet at the United Port Melb West bound at 8:00 for 08:30 departure.
Drive to Geelong By-Pass and Take Hamilton Hwy Exit and turn right and meet up with the Herd from Geelong and head out to Inverleigh and Cressy.
Turn left at the Cressy Turn off and head to Beeac. 152km Travel time approx 2hours-2 hours 15 minutes PLUS how many stops on the way.

Beeac Pub for Tour and Lunch 11AM
13:00 Depart Beeac Pub and Drive to David Pope's Collection at Pirron Yallock. 35km Approx 45 minutes
Tea coffee etc will be provided.
After Drive back to Colac to Accomodation Evening meals etc

IF STAYING AT SHOWGROUNDS:
*Option 1.
The caravan park is set up within the showgrounds and would charge $25 for a powered site. This would allow for site holder/s to use showers and camp kitchen at no extra cost.
*Option 2
Use showgrounds (outside of caravan park area) with a small donation from HCVCA to P & A Society to cover cost of toilet cleaning etc. and showers in the caravan park would cost $5 per person.

There are other Accommodation Options available as per attached business cards.

Otway Gate Motel:
Double: $110
Single:$100
Twin Share:$110

Central Caravan Park
Cabins $80 TBA

Baronga Motor Inn

Doubles: $120 TBA
Twin Share: $130 TBA

In regards to the evening meal and Breakfast, There are plenty of available options in Town. I'm sure the locals will love our patronage.

Sunday 14/5/2017
Depart Colac at 08:00-8:30am and go for a nice drive to the Great Ocean Road to Skenes Creek 59 km.
Apollo Bay stop is another 6 km in the opposite direction which may be worth considering while in the area.
From Apollo Bay, make our way back to Melbourne 184km.

There will be plenty of time to stop as you please and take coastal photos and breath in the fresh sea air.

For enquires and/or to confirm your reservation, contact Steve Camilleri via email stevecamma@hotmail.com or call/text with name, postcode, meeting point on 0414 324 124 by the HCVCA AGM 27/4/2017.

Please help me. I need Commer Parts
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by camma. Reason: Highlighted Event Text
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

More
6 years 11 months ago #182024 by bparo
looks like a great run but being Mother's Day weekend I have other commitments for that weekend (since parents are 340 km from my home)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
6 years 11 months ago #182547 by tim
Well this run starts tomorrow, hope to see everyone when they get to Geelong & We'll tuck in behind somewhere. Hopefully the weather will hold for the weekend. Cheers Tim

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182611 by tim
What a great run this turned out to be. Terrific weather, a few trucks, a bus, and several cars travelled to Beeac for a look at the local publicans collection. Collection, did I say collection, overwhelming, cars, cars & more cars. Two sheds "full", Bugatti, Riley, Fiats by the many, Offenhauser's, a Ford GT40, Strangullini open wheel race car and many others that I can't remember.
Then into the Hotel for a massive lunch & chin wag and lovely warming fire.
Once we were all fed & watered Gordon Russell in his Cummins powered R190 International prime mover led the gaggle out thru Red Rock to David Popes property at Pirron Yallock where David & his helpers welcomed the group.
Here was another stunning collection of everything collectable, trucks, tractors, motor bikes, cars, motor mowers, garden tillers, chain saws, spanners & the list goes on. David's wife also collects, sewing machines, thimbles, iron's, cottons & lots of other stuff too numerous to mention.
Then came afternoon tea, I had 2 Cream Puffs filled with strawberry jam, 1 was'nt enough, they were beautiful, my compliments go to their maker in Spades.
Oh, I must mention David's collection of model Trucks, they were splendid and many, those of you that have been to the Clunes truck show will have seen some of the models there,
My wife & I left the group there & came home to Curlewis with the others spending the night at Colac & heading down to the Great Ocean road today to wend their way back to the big smoke. A bloody great outing. Thanks to all the organisers for the day. Cheers Tim ;)

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by tim. Reason: additions

More
6 years 11 months ago #182613 by Morris
Yep, a mate and I would have loved to come but to go on a truck run on Mothers' Day is not politically correct in our houses. More like pots of chrysanthemums, that will die in the next couple of months, like last years did.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 11 months ago #182616 by tim
Hi Morris, that's why we came home on Saturday night & also I did'nt fancy dragging my tri axle trailer around the Great Ocean road. Was a great day though. Robbie Rose took some photo's along the road & has posted them on Facebook
Cheers Tim ;)

More
6 years 11 months ago #182681 by bparo
I missed it for much the same reason. Echuca to Inverloch was far enough so I spent a weekend keeping mum happy.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
6 years 11 months ago #182699 by oldgmc
I agree a great day and that collection at Beeac was really worth a look and also Dave Pope's collection it's amazing whats in sheds around the place thanks Steve for arranging it

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds