Skip to main content

Flinders Ranges Wandering

More
5 years 9 months ago #194575 by Tacho
There's only a few weeks until our next great event wandering the Flinders Ranges and based in Quorn.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194581 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Flinders Ranges Wandering
old trucks and trains looks good to me.Back around 1991 - 1992 I did 3 trips of around a week each assisting with various jobs varying from conductor and track patrols/track work to assisting with reassembly of the coffee pot and one of their original W class steam locos. Then I got a mrs... I should go over for another look one day

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
5 years 9 months ago #194603 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Flinders Ranges Wandering
Bparo,
If it is as good as the recent Pt Broughton weekend, you will love it. The South Aus members will welcome you and Her Helenness, even in a modern vehicle.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can manage another interstate trip so soon. Been to Bundaberg and Port Pirie and most places in between in the past few weeks.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 9 months ago #194605 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Flinders Ranges Wandering

Morris wrote: Bparo, The South Aus members will welcome you and Her Helenness, .

yeah yeah yeah ... :woohoo: 'specially if ya come in that XP !!! B)

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
5 years 9 months ago #194656 by bparo
well the XP does about 3 times as many miles for the same fuel my Inter uses which makes it more affordable.... :evil:

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
5 years 7 months ago #196026 by bparo
this was a great run. Took 4 days to get there as we stopped 2 nights in the Barossa and 4 to get home as we went exploring. The XP ran fine most of the time. The main issues were a flat tyre at quorn when we found the spare had developed a leak too. Problem turned out to be leaking valve stems. both replaced on a Sunday afternoon for a total of $37 the pair.

Then when we stopped at the motel in Swan Hill on our last night I moved the ute and there was a puddle where it had been sitting. I walked past the front of the ute and got a wet leg. When I lifted the bonnet the radiator core had sprung a leak! So as I had Total Care I called the RACV while we unpacked the ute for the night. Their service man turned up and said "Well bugger me they were right". I asked him what was up and he said "The job showed grey 1965 falcon ute and I thought nobody travels in anything that old it must have been a typo but bugger me they were right!" He looked at the radiator and said let me make a call. Then he came back and said Natrad are 1km away, the ute motor isn't hot, follow me and we will drive it there as it will be safer than flat towing it and the tow truck's an hour away and they will fix it in the morning. So I drove the ute down and when we stopped it started leaking again. They told me to leave it with them, it would be the first job next morning. The RACV man dropped me back at the motel.
9:15am the following day Natrad rang to say it was ready, where was I and they would come and get me. It turns out they found 3 holes in the radiator core and put some powdered gunk in to stop more leaks developing and I was on the way home. They told me to get a new core put in as they can't buy copper of the quality the tanks are made out of and they are still in great condition. Other than the occassional change of fluid I have done no maintenance to the cooling system in the 19 years I have owned it.

So the XP is currently at the mechanics. The radiator and heater are out to be checked, new thermostat and water pump are being fitted along with 5 new tyres and a hesitaition taken out of it (you would be driving along, go through a town or pull out to overtake and sometimes it took off while at other times it acted as if it was cold even though it had been running for a couple of hours)

Helen said "When you sell the truck you will only have this to take everywhere so it might as well be right" Got to be happy when the wife insists you spend money on a toy!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge

Time to create page: 0.463 seconds