Skip to main content

Caboolture Swap Today

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #236432 by Lang
Caboolture Swap Today was created by Lang
Well supported swap at Caboolture. I had success with moving an old vehicle but I must be getting old.

90% of stalls had stuff related to 1965 to 1985 Holdens and Falcons. I am afraid that even GT Falcons and Bathurst Monaros and Toranas bore me. I don't think family cars with huge engines (even from the factory) speak class or quality. They certainly are financially rewarding collectibles. There is almost nothing from the 30-60 period any more.

The show car fleet were majority those cars and imported American vehicles of the same period.

I went over to take photos of the commercial vehicles for this report but Peter Needer in his Austin truck was the only genuine one along with a couple of 48 and FJ utes. Even those were lowered with "patina".

I gave up after 4 photos. The other dozen "commercial" vehicles were clones of the gold one in the last photo.

As I said I am getting old and the younger generation enthuse over these vehicles and good on them. I have to keep reminding myself that a Model T to me at 20 years of age was the same as a 1982 Holden or Falcon to them. What I don't like is rare 30's and 40's vehicle being stripped of a few panels which are then chopped and the rest of the vehicle dumped more often than not never finished or terrible amateur jobs. Regardless of my opinion , the workmanship on the good ones is absolutely astounding.

Talking to blokes with some of these efforts and their pride reminded me of the little kid in the bus looking at a loving mother with her new baby "Hey, lady where did you get the monkey"

That should kick the hornets' nest.

Lang

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, PaulFH, Tacho, V8Ian, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #236453 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Caboolture Swap Today
I am of the same era as you Lang, and with the same thoughts. While I appreciate the effort and sometimes skill of the ratrod, hotrod, customise younger generation, it is becoming more difficult to find older vehicles in factory specs. I spent three years looking for a 1930's roadster, preferably with wire wheels, 6 cylinder and hydraulic brakes at an affordable price. When I found a 1929 Dodge at Coffs Harbour that filled the bill I moved quickly to get it. During my search I noticed many "modified" vehicles on the market for a long time at high prices and still not sold. I suppose the seller is trying to recover the money they had spent on the restoration, but they are also trying to sell to a generation who does not have the spare cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236458 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Caboolture Swap Today
I think the problem with getting rid of hotrods is they were somebody else's dream. Although the wankers talk about "my 26 T-Bucket" it is absolute crap. They are a home made car from start to finish, maybe not even a couple panels from an original car they have destroyed but all fibreglass with no history or family tree and who wants to pay $60,000 for something like that. Finding the right buyer will be very difficult indeed.

I have not driven many but the ones I have ride and drive worse than the "original" 80 year old factory original. Lots of power, smooth gears or auto and great brakes but the driving position and ergonomics of the pedals, seats and steering wheel are the male equivalent of a woman wearing 6" high stiletto heels.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, Morris, Inter-Action, PaulFH, Tacho, oliver1950

More
1 year 9 months ago #236479 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Caboolture Swap Today
Lang, I think the lack of ergonomics is due to amateur builders with no training and even less knowledge of such things. Many Hotrods (I think their lovers call them "Street Rods" these days) keep only the top half of the radiator surround or grille of the original car, even if they have that much but as you say, their loving owner insists that they are original. I cannot understand why almost all rodders of a Ford put Chevrolet running gear in to it while rodders of Chevs put Ford running gear in theirs.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #236516 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Caboolture Swap Today
The Ford rodders use Chev engines because the chassis are too narrow for a Ford 351 V8. As for the opposite way around the Chev guys use a Ford engine so they can break down on the side of the road. To back up that last statement; Did you know that over 90% of Fords are still on the road? The others made it home.
The serious rodders go MOPAR and where possible the 'Elephant' gets squeezed in.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: COFFMAN

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds