Skip to main content

Echuca Steam Rally 2007

More
16 years 11 months ago #323 by bparo
The last 4 or 5 years the organisers have had an Australian Made section which I have used to enter my International AR162 and my XP Ute at various times.

Their cut off for 'Historic Vehicles' is 1953 according to their form.

I rang their Rally Secretary and explained that I had been to 8 out of their last 9 rallies and that I intended to bring my XP Ute. I said it seemed a bit strange that I couldn't take the XP yet a hot rod could get in as it was a 1938 Ford. She explained it was the modified vehicles such as the hot rods that they were trying to weed out and to send her a letter with the form and she would see what she could do.

I sent the entry form today entering the 'special interest' category and included a letter explaining why I wanted to show it and a couple of photos. I will post their response here if/when it arrives. I don't expect it will be soon.

They don't have a section for trucks, just vehicles by age so 95% of the trucks that support them each year are technically not eligible according to their rules as they are post 1953. This includes a lot of the locals. I think their event will be a lot poorer without them.

I think any Inters would get in without problem this year as they are featuring International Products so want as many as they can get. But I know of a lot of 1960's & 70's Dodges, Fords, Macks etc that are there every year. The event would be a lot poorer without them.

The reason I want to take the XP and not the Inter is that we are continuing north on holidays after the show which is not really possible on red plates unless I can find a show each weekend to go to and I haven't been that lucky.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #324 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: Echuca Steam Rally 2007
Hi Bruce l agree with what you say, l went last year with the truck and camped overnight. The show was great and there was a big roll up of trucks, l didnt know they were judging but every event has its own idears. this year maybe it wont be as windy.

More
16 years 11 months ago #325 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Echuca Steam Rally 2007
Sorry Podge maybe I wasn't clear enough.

There is no judging (or at least not by classes - I have only heard of a prize awarded once in 9 years, the following year there were no prizes mentioned except raffle winners)

In theory your vehicle is meant to fit one of their categories or you are not entitled to show it. At one stage they strictly enforced it then they got Lax as they introduced an "Australian Made" category and allowed newer vehicles in (but still over 25 years old).

Now they have removed that category for entries (not prizes, there never were any after the 1st year) and gone back to the original categories and vehicles need to be 1953 or earlier to be in 'as of right' or be entered into the 'special interest' category in advance with some supporting documentation for the committee to decide whether they would be allowed or not or, according to the secretary, they will be turned away at the gate (although I can not see that happening)

I looked at a program I had from 1987 and the year for vehicles was 1953 then so the newest vehicles eligible for display would have been 34 years old. They haven't officially moved the year on their entry form since then so it is officially still 1953 so the vehicles are meant to be 54 years old to be eligible now.

It has lead to some weird situations in the past where a beautiful EK Holden was turned away as it was 'too new;but a hot rod allowed in (it was based on a 1938 Ford) as was a 1970's Mustang which was queried by a different person on the gate, Mick's B-Model and other vehicles a lot newer than the Holden.

Did you get an entry form for this year or didn't you fill out a form for last year so they don't have your address.

My letter has pointed out this anomoly (without mentioning any specific vehicles in particular) so that we don't have club members arriving for no reason. I will communicate any clarification I receive.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

16 years 11 months ago #326 by
Replied by on topic Re: Echuca Steam Rally 2007
I was thinking of going to Echuca.

But I noticed on the entry form to camp onsite they are charging $30! :o
Doesn't indicate if that is per night or for the whole event!

Granted they are finally providing Toilet and Showers this year. Also I believe they have charged in previous years. But where will this charging exhibitors finish. Lake Goldsmith finally removed the camping charge due to Exhibitor pressure.

This extra cost certainly makes my decision to go or not to go to Echuca this year an easy one! I have decided not to go.

I know it all the money from the gate goes to a good cause but still. It gets unviable to bring items from Melbourne all the way to Echuca with all these extra costs! And the price of fuel etc at the moment.

Just to really bring it out to the obvious. They are charging Adults $16 and children $8. When you consider how popular this rally is they certainly would be alot of money taken at the gate!

More
16 years 11 months ago #327 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: Echuca Steam Rally 2007
Sorry Bruce l did miss understand you and l think l entered under special interest last year because we are special people in the HCVC. l did not pay for camping only the entry fee and just slept in the back of the Hotel Acco. The camping sites were for caravans and tent sites but other were in swags and under traps. l am sure l was on the mailing list but have not seen anything in the mail. As you say to up there and be turned away will bugger it up and people will not go again.

16 years 11 months ago #328 by
Hi everyone havn't been to Echuca since 1999 so can't comment BUT why don't you give Alexrander a go.
NO entry fee.
Park with other old trucks (25yrs).
Close to Melb. :D
But i was thinking of going to Echuca this year but have no entry form i was just going turn at the gate.
Bprao I went to Alice Springs for 6 weeks on a permit getting there - show - home via Flinders Ranges whats the problem?.Deadly

More
16 years 11 months ago #329 by bparo
Deadly,

The Flinders Ranges are between Alice Springs and Melbourne and could be considered a viable route home. Cobar, Dubbo and the Hunter Valley are not between Echuca and Melbourne.

Basically according to the current rules for the Club Permit Scheme I could go to an event in Cobar or the Hunter Valley and travel via Echuca on a permit but I can not go to an event in Echuca and travel via the Hunter Valley or Cobar.

If/When they introduce the log book scheme and the rules they currently propose still apply this changes and I would be able to do this trip on the Club Permit.

The XP is on full registration so it is like any other vehicle on the road. It gets 25 mpg without trying so it saves a lot of petrol money I can spend on other things, it is easier to park as it is a similar size to your Bedford where as my Inter needs a couple of car parks to fit and turn.

16 years 11 months ago #330 by
Bparo,
just thought might work but leave it me i might be able to find some thing for you.Deadly

More
16 years 11 months ago #331 by bparo
Deadly,

Don't worry too much until I see what the organisers reply is

Bparo

More
16 years 10 months ago #332 by bparo
Just a quick note to let you know that my XP was deemed rare enough to be a special interest vehicle as will be any truck more than 25 years old ;)

Please don't think the Steam Rally Committee contacted me. ;)

So the first part of the holiday plan is all systems go.

After making the above call I also heard a rumour on that the camping fee has been dropped but I am not sure if that means the rate was reduced or that camping is now free. If I had heard this before making the call I would have asked. It doesn't worry me as we have a cabin booked at the cartavan park anyway.

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds