Skip to main content

Sydney Old Hume Highway Road Run - Haulin The Hume

More
13 years 1 month ago #44727 by Cunning Stunt
Hi all

My Dad has been saying for a while now that he would love to fire up the Commer and relive the glory days by retracing as much of the Old Hume Highway as possible out of Sydney. There has been so much interest shown by other blokes I know with old trucks that I have bitten the bullet and decided to make it a run. :o

Very early days so far but here is the current plan.

All of this is (apart from the date) is TBC ::)

Date: 27th -28th August 2011

Saturday 27th

Depart: Crossroads Liverpool

Run: Old Hume Highway route. through Camden, over Razorback 8-), down through Picton, through Mittagong and Berrima etc.

Destination: Yass! Plan at Yass is to have dinner and with the availability of a room, have a night of historic photos and b.s from a few old fellas (looks like dad is going to have to talk after all) who are happy to share a few stories from their life on the road.

Sunday 28th

Depart for brekkie, say goodbye and head home. :'(

There are a few reasons for doing it all this way:
A. Because we want too
B. Because if anyone wants to leave early they can get back on the main road and go
C. Hopefully if anyone from Victoria comes up, you can leave Yass and still get home by Sunday evening.......apart from Deadly who should make it home by Thursday or so ;D
D.............Because we want too!!!

I am planning to have photos/video etc.........there are actually heaps of ideas but the main one is to enjoy driving our trucks on the roads that they were made for. There will be more info as we confirm things and a small entry fee, entry cut-off date and details for accomodation, times etc will be announced in due course but the main reason for announcing it now was to get feedback and find out how many of you guys were serious about joining us.

This run has been sanctioned for this date by the Western Sydney Historic Truck Club.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Watch this space ;)

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #44728 by jimbo51
You'll need a volunteer to tip one over in the Cullerins - just for old times sake!

13 years 1 month ago #44729 by
Sounds great, right up my alley. And we could stop off at Razorback and do a re-enactment of April '79.
The next year we could do a run up the Putty. We'd probably need another volunteer to tip one over though. lol.
Seriously, a great idea. I hope it works out.
I would like to say I could join you, but I think it would only be in a four wheeler.
Jeff.

More
13 years 1 month ago #44730 by Cunning Stunt
Thanks. One thing I forgot to mention is that there will be no cut off date and no stipulations as to what vehicle to bring. Obviously trucks is a preferance but I couldn't care less if you rocked up in an XK Falcon towing a plywood van, as long as you came to enjoy yourselves.

Jimbo, ;D ;D, cracked me up! I was originally going to say that if you arrived without a load on your truck you couldn't come ;) and I wanted to give a trophy for worst gear change over the two days but after your comment I think a trophy for 'Most Spectacular Exit' should be on the agenda ::)

Some play hard to get

More
13 years 1 month ago #44731 by
Sounds like a great day out, I'll have to dust off my blue singlet

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch

13 years 1 month ago #44732 by
cunning looks like we have a goer! better get our arses into gear i bags scareing the shit out of jimbo on the first bridge after breadalbane pub so keep that pommy hill detector out of the way!!!!

More
13 years 1 month ago #44733 by Cunning Stunt
Thanks Kirky. Remember, I DROVE my truck to Alice :D

For what its worth, grenfell34 has long shared this Hume idea and is the catalyst for me making it into a run. He an I will be making a bee line for Yass as soon as we can to organise food/venue/accomodation so if it ends up a flop, blame him

Some play hard to get

More
13 years 1 month ago #44734 by Jake Brake
Hi Bruce, this run along the old Hume sounds too good. Count me in, I'm coming.
Ray

White the greatest name in trucks.

13 years 1 month ago #44735 by
jmack if you turned up on a malvern star we would be happy to have you along , this i a no frills have fun deal hope to meet you there

More
13 years 1 month ago #44736 by jimbo51
Gren fella,

Left hander over the railway line at the top of the range?

Time to create page: 0.674 seconds